PartialAssy.jpg

more welding, brazing, milling
cleanup, dressup, redox prime coat

FinishedPrimed.jpg

genuine SB:

taperattachmentSB13in.jpg

Out of pocket cost: $0.00
Time Invested: have no #&%*! idea
The challenge and satisfaction gotten from taking what should be landfill junk and making something useful: priceless
Question for all you people out there who know a lot more about these machines than I do. The clamp arrangement on this part seems to serve only as a lock for the cross slide. Am I missing something here? I have seen this chip guard lock only on South
bend lathes.
Chaz

Like Bob said, it is to lock the crosslide to the taper attachment. Your chip guard was a good idea, and executed nicely. However, without a taper attachement, ya wouldnt have needed the slot!
I want a T slot table for mine, and then a milling attachment, and then, and then, and th... :eek: you get the idea
Jim
PS, Bob, hows that indexer coming along?

I have a taper attachment, but it works without the lock, and locks up with the clamp on, so what purpose does the lock serve? To operate the taper attachment all I have to do is tighten the way clamps.

It locks the cross slide to the taper attachment part so it dosen't move in and out. It must be used with a plain taper attachment where the cross slide screw is unhooked. It also shows it being used with the telescopic taper attachment...Bob

Plus Chrones diease on top of that, don't know which end is gonna kill me first. Took some old medicine for my pneumonia and that screwed up my heart medicine. Oh well, i will do it until the end, then look for a bunch of nice tools on ebay
. I am sure my wife will sell everything :( . I did make it to the basement tonight, got my wires caught on my handwheel and pulled a few off so i quit until tomorrow...Bob

Hell, I thought I had it bad with hardcore diabetes. at least I didnt lose my two toes by gettin em' caught up in the lathe! And the halucinations from the drugs to put me under where kind fun too. :eek:
Jim

Very nice work, Chaz!
thumb.gif
And clever use of scrap materials to duplicate a complex casting.

Curious thing about your taper attachment. The clamp lever on that chip guard is intended to couple the cross-slide to the taper slide, not lock the cross-slide. I assume yours is the type used on the larger SB lathes (10L+), with the telescoping cross-slide screw. As I understand it, there is no need to disable a cross-feed nut with this unit, like on the 9/10K models. Simply tightening the binding lever on the rear of the cross-slide and the bed bracket clamp should activate the taper function. The telescoping feature allows cross-feed adjustment in taper mode, unlike the 9/10K, which does not.

Paula

Thank you Paula, you're the first one to really understand the question. The threaded stud for the lock lever is permanently, immovably fixed to the slide on the taper attachment, and the cross feed works independently. When locked to the crosslide it simply locks up the whole works. Why then did SB even put it on this lathe? BTW the lathe is a 1941 heavy 10, single tumbler toolmaker. I could remove the stud but have no intention of doing so. Besides it might come in handy as a lock sometime.
Just looking for answers---Chaz

Thanx for noticing Jim.

The motor you see on this rustbucket is a 1/4 HP with a light switch to turn it on. It stalled out just trying to polish the rust off the pulleys. I now have a 1 HP single phase. The jack was to keep it from falling on my head while stripping it apart (altho that might have done me some good). Still have lots to do.
Chaz

Spent many hours on Logans and small South Bends on my 1st & 2nd machine shop jobs in the early 1950's. I'm guilty now of doing something my shop teacher back then warned us not to do. He said never to ass-u-me anything. Until I freed up the cross-slide and taper attachment I assumed that it was necessary to use the lock lever to operate the taper attachmenton on this lathe. After making the chip guard and testing it I found out I was WRONG. That does'nt answer the question but it is what it is.
Keep on turning-Chaz

Most lathes i ran in school and at work already were missing 1/2 of the taper attachment parts so i never got to play with a real one. The only one that was complete was a little SB JR and i wasn't allowed to run it, it didn't belong to our department...Bob

Back