What's new
What's new

Wicking for Oil Journals in QCGB

rw1

Aluminum
I've got the gearbox all cleaned up and working towards installing the gears. This is a 65' Heavy 10.

So the Ilion Repair Manual says to use the TYPE 7 round wicking - these are 3/16" round. Is it common that one has to really "Jamb" the new wicking into the ends of the bronze bearing bores? The only other round wicking is smaller at 1/8" dia., (See Photo) and is pretty easy to slip into the oiler holes.

I remember having to push the old wicking back into the main lube channel with thick wire before blowing them out of the housing, boy.....they were filthy and hard!

So perhaps this takes a bit of patience....twisting in the new wicking plugs that seem to be a bit oversized? Tweezers and needle nose pliers for assistance?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0948.jpg
    IMAG0948.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 165
Question, does the whole the wicking goes in go all away through the casting.
If it does you can use this trick. Do you know how Chinese handcuffs work. Chinese handcuffs are braided bamboo that when pulled gets smaller in diameter. A very thin braided wire that is looped at one end works best. Push the felt wicking into the braided wire, slide the wire through the casting and pull it through. If you try to push it through the felt will get thicker and harder to push. If you can pull it through it will get thinner and be easier.

Hope this helps.

Question, does the whole the wicking goes in go all away through the casting.
If it does you can use this trick. Do you know how Chinese handcuffs work. Chinese handcuffs are braided bamboo that when pulled gets smaller in diameter. A very thin braided wire that is looped at one end works best. Push the felt wicking into the braided wire, slide the wire through the casting and pull it through. If you try to push it through the felt will get thicker and harder to push. If you can pull it through it will get thinner and be easier.

Hope this helps.

Thats a new trick to me...thks for the tip. The wicking felts are only about a 1/4" in length, at the ends of straight bored oil shafts. These felts control (slow down) the oil flowing from the reserve.

I've managed to get most wicks in by dipping in machine oil and pushing/rotating with a pair of needle nose pliers. The small middle bushing housed in the center of the casting is a bear to get a wick in....no room. This is for the screw gear shaft. Need to round up some tweezers and I think I'll get it.

I just finished rewicking my 13" SB gearbox a month back, I used 3/4" long wicks this time. The 1/4" I used before allowed the oil to run out of the gearbox faster. The 3/4" still works fine, keeps everything lubed well, but the oil doesn't end up dripping on the floor the next morning. I used a piece of 1/16" tig rod with a bend at the end to help insert/push the wicks into the holes. It worked fine and only took about 5 minutes to do the entire box. Best of luck...................Rick

Back