What's new
What's new

Finally got a Southbend!

saryon7

Plastic
Good evening everyone,
I am super excited to say I just got a Southbend lathe.I have been wanting one for probably 15 years now and a deal finally popped up for me.I have begun the process of restoring it and want to make sure I get the right parts so I was hoping for a little help identifying my lathe. Here is what I know about it:
Serial Number:19763R
Catalogue Number: CL187ZB
Bed Length: 3-1/2'
There is a number on the back ways that reads: DDB200R

From what I can figure out from the online information it is a 10" lathe. It has the bigger bore- I think it is 1-3/8".

So, if anyone could tell me the model and year, and anything else, I would appreciate it.

thanks,lathepic.jpg

You have a 10L- AKA "heavy 10"

Serial # puts it 1971-72

If it has a 1.375 bore it is a D1-4 spindle. It seems like form memory the CL designation means a threaded spindle so someone may have upgraded it to the D spindle, at a glance you seem to have the "wide range gearbox" which if so includes 30 TPI.

Congrats on a nice looking machine!

Forget "South Bend" for your parts, contact Ted

[email protected]

Your machine does look like it has a cam-lock spindle but I believe all the 10L machines had the 1 3/8" spindle.
The 10R had a Regular spindle bore while the 10L had a Large spindle bore. I have a similar vintage 10L with the threaded spindle and it is 1 3/8".
iwananew10K is right about the catalog number, CL would be for "Threaded Nose", while a CB designation would be for the "D1-4 Camlock".
This is a perfect size machine (mine has a longer bed), not too big, not too small for my modest shop.
Congrats on your purchase.
CWC(4)

You have a 10L- AKA "heavy 10"

Serial # puts it 1971-72

If it has a 1.375 bore it is a D1-4 spindle. It seems like form memory the CL designation means a threaded spindle so someone may have upgraded it to the D spindle, at a glance you seem to have the "wide range gearbox" which if so includes 30 TPI.

Congrats on a nice looking machine!

Forget "South Bend" for your parts, contact Ted

[email protected]

Your machine does look like it has a cam-lock spindle but I believe all the 10L machines had the 1 3/8" spindle.
The 10R had a Regular spindle bore while the 10L had a Large spindle bore. I have a similar vintage 10L with the threaded spindle and it is 1 3/8".
iwananew10K is right about the catalog number, CL would be for "Threaded Nose", while a CB designation would be for the "D1-4 Camlock".
This is a perfect size machine (mine has a longer bed), not too big, not too small for my modest shop.
Congrats on your purchase.
CWC(4)

The catalog number of all South Bend machines begins with CL, regardless of the size or spindle.
Accessories that are related to the spindle nose(i.e. Chucks, collet attachment, faceplate, etc.) will have a prefix that denotes the type of mount:
CB...D1-4
CL...threaded
CA...L00
CC...D1-3

Ted

Thank you guys for all the great info. You don't know how much you made my day by telling me that it is a heavy 10. That is the news I really wanted. I also wanted to thank you for the info on the date of manufacture being early 70's. As I really start going through this lathe it seems like it is in fantastic shape. The ways look awesome and all the gears I can see look good. Even the carriage rod looks almost brand new. I spent another couple of hours working on the tailstock this evening. About an hour more of prep and it will be ready to paint and go back together.
I decided to just do one assembly at a time so that I could better remember how it all goes back together. I will start adding some pics as I restore the lathe further. Thanks again!
Itdoes have a cam lock chuck, but it is attatched to the threaded spindle. It is not a solid piece. I am really digging the cam lock for its ease of use. Unfortunately, I only have the cam lock backing plate for 2 of the 4 chucks. By the way, are the cam lock chucks just as accurate as the threaded ones?

that is a weird arrangement that I am sure members would like to see pics of.

Referring to the cam loc spindle adapter.

Also once you get it up and running a report on how well it repeats.

I recall people have wondered in the past how such a thing would perform.

Maybe some misunderstanding there. Folks talk about making D type doo dads that screw on threaded spindle (a serious machining project) but there are physical constraints. A look here shows the impossibility for a D1-4" fitting a 2 1/4-8 nose (assumes normal flange thickness). You are allowed a maximum of 1 1/2" bore in a D1-4" - which is not a problem when its part of the spindle

To put this another way - if - like the photo - you see normal flange thickness a normal distance from spindle bearing, it isn't a shop built D1-4" screwed on a 2 1/4-8 thread

Add photo of apparently what some have not seen - a spindle that includes the D type nose. This is all the folks that designed and standardized this ever intended - a one piece deal - other than the detail parts like the cams, etc

Attachments

• D4 Spindles.jpg
    D4 Spindles.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 403
  • D type.jpg
    D type.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
thanks John, judging by the photo this spindle is certainly no bigger than
D1-4 so there must be some misunderstanding.

saryon7, could you clarify?

Last edited:
thanks John, judging by the photo this spindle is certainly no bigger than
D1-4 so there must be some misunderstanding.

saryon7, could you clarify?

Yep, you bet. I will snap some photos tonight. I will try to get some close ups of the the attachment, and I am pretty sure it is an attachment that fits over the normal threaded spindle (could be wrong). I will get some pics of the back of the chucks too. It seemed like a pretty slick set up. I was excited when I saw it.

I own a SB, I'v had it 38 years, I'll probably never sell it, before I knew any better I thought it was the best lathe in the world...... Not even...... Go ahead and be excited but don't ever use a Monarch, Lodge & Shipley, Leblond or any other real lathe because you will figure out straight away that the little SB "heavy 10" is a toy.

I own a SB, I'v had it 38 years, I'll probably never sell it, before I knew any better I thought it was the best lathe in the world...... Not even...... Go ahead and be excited but don't ever use a Monarch, Lodge & Shipley, Leblond or any other real lathe because you will figure out straight away that the little SB "heavy 10" is a toy.

Ah well, I'd better bin my SB9 then - don't wanna be seen playing with a toy lathe.

Ah well, I'd better bin my SB9 then - don't wanna be seen playing with a toy lathe.

That is not what I am saying. I see post after post with people gushing on about how great a SB lathe is, OK fine, whatever. A dose of reality is in order, it is a machine loaded with 1920s features, how they managed to stay in business as long as they did I don't know, school sales maby? We had about 20 of them in the high school machine shop along with other modern technology, like shapers!

My Heavy 10 is WWII war baby. At the time it was made and used it was a commercial quality lathe, not a big lathe, but still a commercial lathe.

Southbned 10"lathes where probably commercial lathes until the start of the 1960s.

Vlad

Maybe some misunderstanding there. Folks talk about making D type doo dads that screw on threaded spindle (a serious machining project) but there are physical constraints. A look here shows the impossibility for a D1-4" fitting a 2 1/4-8 nose (assumes normal flange thickness). You are allowed a maximum of 1 1/2" bore in a D1-4" - which is not a problem when its part of the spindle

To put this another way - if - like the photo - you see normal flange thickness a normal distance from spindle bearing, it isn't a shop built D1-4" screwed on a 2 1/4-8 thread

Add photo of apparently what some have not seen - a spindle that includes the D type nose. This is all the folks that designed and standardized this ever intended - a one piece deal - other than the detail parts like the cams, etc

Well, it looks like you were right. It is not an attachment to the spindle, but is indeed machined into the spindle. I had just taken a quick look before and thought I saw threads poking through the end. You can see that from the picture. I also thought those allen screws were to lock it down onto the threaded spindle,but they seem to actually be there to stabilize the cam locks. Here is the picture of it. Chuck.jpg

At the machine shop I worked in (about 15 years ago) I mostly used a mori-seiki, SB, Hardinge, and Leblond. My favorite was the Hardinge and then the Leblond. So, I have used better lathes, but I am still super excited because I have been working with a Grizzly G0602 for the last 5 years.I am really looking forward to using this southbend.

hello everybody,
i recently acquired a south bend lathe cat.no. 575AC ser. no. 3046NCR .i am looking for some information on this machine. I contacted south bend about this machine and the wanted money for some basic information like its age, and perhaps how it made its way to Ireland the homeland of the O!Brien twins that founded the company
any information would be greatly appreciated.
Eugene

Ted,
perhaps you can help me with my recently acquired south bend lathe cat.no. 575AC ser.no. 3046NCR7.
I am looking for some info. on it such as year of manufacture and any other info you can pass on.
I am writing to you from Wexford, Ireland, homeland of the O!Brien twins.
Regards,
Eugene.

Back