What's new
What's new

Finally making use of my carriage t slots!

rusty old tools

Hot Rolled
I recently came in to a large lot of free tools and tooling, amongst the bits and peices I found a nice gooseneck indicator base, the mag base was screwed up but the goose neck was still good, so I decided to make use of it, I found a t nut which happened to be the right size and the next thing I knew I had the best indicator mount in town! It's flexibility is such that I can use it to dial in a diameter, a face, to feed with my cross slide or even in conjunction with a carriage stop to feed lengthwise, and it will (should) work with any diameter that my 13" south bend will swing! It's since proven to be a most useful accessory, if you have an older south bend with t slots than I highly recommend you put one of these together, it beats the crap out of the mag base imho.

Since the most recent forum "upgrade" I'm not sure how to post photos, I'll try and get some up, but I'm sure that most of you get the idea.

If it's stiff enough, good job. But be wary of the gooseneck creeping on you, especially with vibration on the lathe. All it takes is a thousandth of creep to screw up a job...

Back