What's new
What's new

First post with new SB lathe

alphadeltaromeo

Plastic
Greetings PM Enthusiasts:

This is my first post to the forum, so thanks for allowing me to join. With this new post I am pleased to share that I have acquired a new to me SB lathe. I'll post a few pics for the edification of all.

Serial #: 3877HKE9

chuck.jpglathe-1.jpglathe-2.jpgserial.jpgtail-stock.jpg

When the gent was removing it from the storage facility, he broke an end leg. I'm planning on welding the cast iron, so I should be OK with it. Other than that the lathe appears to be in great condition. With the purchase came a second 4-jaw chuck and a lot of quick change tool holders, etc. I'm rather blessed to have the lathe. Anyway, I'll see about finding the age, etc. As a note it's a 12' bed.

Glad to be here,

Andy

Alto, GA

Family Blog

Nice...

Machines have feelings and personalities. You rescued her - continue to show her love and in return, she'll treat you right.

Nice...

Machines have feelings and personalities. You rescued her - continue to show her love and in return, she'll treat you right.

Thanks much. I do plan on ensuring that the lathe is treated quite well indeed. The family is thrilled with the potential projects.

Hey man, I like the shirt you're wearing under the jacket. I'm kinda partial to JDs too. That's one reason I looked for and found a lathe, a 1947 9" SB, so I could make bushings and such for worn out things. I have a 1937 "A" model JD I restored but it has a few loose, real loose, things that I think if I figure this machining thing out, I can fix. Right now I am a real green novice, but I think with lots of persistence, practice, patience and lots of ruined parts, I'll figure it out.

Hey man, I like the shirt you're wearing under the jacket. I'm kinda partial to JDs too. That's one reason I looked for and found a lathe, a 1947 9" SB, so I could make bushings and such for worn out things. I have a 1937 "A" model JD I restored but it has a few loose, real loose, things that I think if I figure this machining thing out, I can fix. Right now I am a real green novice, but I think with lots of persistence, practice, patience and lots of ruined parts, I'll figure it out.

Actually that's my 16 yr old :) but thanks anyway. I'm also extremely green, but my three older boys are really looking forward to engaging with the lathe.

I see on the data plate that it's a '14 1/2 & 16'. What differentiates this lathe as a 16/24 vs. just a 16?

The riser blocks under the tailstock, headstock and compound are what turn a 16 into a 16/24. SB used the same gearbox (and info plate) for the 14.5 and 16. The info plate was not changed on the 16/24.

allan

So I've started the process of tearing down the lathe for restoration. It was in good shape over all, but prior to operating, I do want to strip it, paint it and inspect all gears. The tear down is almost complete and I was able to source the primer and paint choice (SW for paint) today. I do have a few welds from the previous owner that will need to be smoothed out to look factory once painted.

I will need a few parts that were broken, so I'll be hunting for those. So far in my inspection of the gears I'm quite pleased to report that they are in excellent condition (big blessing). I'll be sure to post pics of the restoration in a separate thread.

Note: completely agree with respect to safety.

Back