What's new
What's new

First Use of My 13” Single South Bend

Janderso

Aluminum
I have gone through my 77 year old machine and in the process have returned home.
In the early 80’s I was hired to run a manufacturing and distribution facility in Benecia CA. We made a polyeurethane baseball wrapped in sports tape then covered with a nylon sewn cover. It looked just like a baseball but would not hurt as much. The name was “Incrediball” our company was Westar. The market for this product was youth and off season indoor training.
The owner of the company purchased traditional baseball and softball manufacturing equipment in Port as Prince, Haiti.
I was sent to Haiti to access and advise on the equipment.
The only qualifications I had was I worked for Tom in High School and he knew I could fix anything.
Long story shortened, I had a ball, I restored the equipment built in the 1920’s and found I really enjoyed and appreciated the cast iron ingenious design of the “ Reach” winders.
I purchased a step pulley Bridgeport Mill shortly after the lathe and I also picked up a Marvel 612 band saw.
In referbishing the Marvel, I had to make a bushing for the drive wheel. There was a scraping noise every revolution, I took it apart and found a very well made gear box containing 80-90 gear oil in pristine condition. The cast iron wheels and construction were typical of the old American made products.
I made the bushing on the South Bend, I discovered the Chinese quick change tool post is crap. I see an Aloris in my future.
I also need to manufacture a lead screw and vise nut for the saw. I am confident I can cut the slots in the Bridgeport and drill and tap using the SB.
Long story but I wanted to give some background to those of you that share my appreciation for these old machines.
They just don’t make them like this anymore.
I have less than $5,000 invested in my lathe, mill and saw.
Thanks for listening.

Back