What's new
What's new

Flat Belt Size/ Specs for 9" Model A

Shrub

Plastic
Hi all,
I have recently aquired a 1950's vintage 9" model A with the standard 3-step flat pulley headstock. Unfortunately, in the process of removing the lathe (and a TON of other woodworking and metalworking equipment) as quickly as possible from the dark, wet and cold basement of a long abandoned house, I had to cut the flat drive belt. At the time I never thought to keep the old belt as a sample for locating a new belt. I have never needed to buy flat belt like this before.
SO, what I need to know is what size belt do I need for this machine? How are these belts measured (aside from length)?
Thanks for any assistance you might be able to provide!

Peter.

Length and width. If it's already cut and your not squemish about pulling the headstock then your best bet is to use an automotive serpentine belt. I have a 5 rib on mine but you could go wider. Any wider on mine and it rubs the bull grear guard. The countershaft is mounted 15 3/4" from the center of the lathe leg monting bolt to the countershaft pivot. You can then wrap a string around the pulleys and take your length measurement. You'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-54" and just FYI if the belt you cut was leather it was either glued together, Laced with string or fishing line, or held with metal clipper lacing that gets held together with a removable plastic pin.

Back