What's new

Flat Belt Supplier

• Thread starter rkrecak
  • Start date
  • Replies 27
  • Views 10,880
R

rkrecak

I have a SB 13" lathe which requires a flat belt that must be spliced to install. I'd prefer to get a belt which is glued together and made of similar material to the original which is Texalon. The belts listed in MC don't seem to look like the original (maybe someone has a recommendation here). Does anyone know of other suppliers? Thanks,

Bob

I think LeBlond still sells the Texalon belts, along with the two types of glue required for splicing, though at a substantial price.

How wide a belt do you require? I haven't found anything better than the multi-groove automotive serpentine belts for sheer driving ability. I've used the Texalon and straight leather, and it puts them both to shame. I've only seen the multi-groove belts up to about an inch wide, however. Apparently they can be spliced too, just like other belts:

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=15209

Paula

Pau;a,
Thanks for the information, I didn't think you could splice a serpentine belt. The original belt on my lathe is 1 1/2" wide by 3/32" thick. The belt on my lathe has to be spliced as there is no other way to install it.

Bob

Has anyone had any dealings with the, "poly reinforced fiber woven belts" i have seen on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220050549641&rd=1&rd=1
I will be needing one as the one i have now is wider than what is needed and is also starting to fray. I think i will stick with the steel laces as that looks like the easier solution for myself to work with. But after reading Paulas link I might just get a serpentine and try it since i am starting to work on the headstocki might not even need to splice if it is all appart. But am still curious what anyone thinks of the fiber belt idea.

I didn't think you could splice a serpentine belt.
There is another way in addition to the glued scarf joint. You can drill small holes in the grooves and lace the joint with stainless wire. It works well, as the wire can lay within the grooves on the pulley face side of the belt.

Paula

J-wall,

I've seen those belts for sale on eBay before, and wondered about them too. To me they seem over-priced, and don't look like they would provide much grip on the pulley. The ad only shows one side of the belt, the outside presumably, but if the inside doesn't have some kind of smooth, grippy surface, I can't see how this belt could be very effective.

...I might just get a serpentine and try it since i am starting to work on the headstock i might not even need to splice if it is all appart.
That would be the way to go, in my opinion. Why mess around with a splice if you don't have to? I don't care for the steel clips as you often get that click, click, click, as the belt goes around. Doesn't bother some people, but it annoys the heck out of me. Check out this thread for the exact belt I am using. You may need a longer or shorter length, but the .920" width is ideal, and the price is only $19.58

Paula

Well i picked up a ribed serpentine belt from aut parts store today we will give that a try and see. I had taken the head stock apart to see if there was a reason the head and tail dont line completely on the vertical plain. I also wanted to paint it so that it looked like i have got a good coat on all the lathe. I wish i have a engine hoist or something I would take the bed off the legs and strip them down and paint the bed a little better and the legs as well. But for now it is more than I can do solo so will have to be for another day. It is all drying after striping paint/grease all day. Will probably go over it again with paint thinner to get all dirt and grease residue off before paint. Then i hope the belt works if not I just found the one in Mcmasters and it is under $20+shipping for the 53" one I need.

Bob,
I need to get a flat belt replacement for my 13" also. After reviewing the link that Paula posted, I was leaning toward the serpentine belt rather than the original flat style. I would be interested in which approach you decide to take and any installation "issues".

Chuck

Chuck,
I ordered the heavy duty rubber belting from MC with a special rubber adhesive from 3M. I'll let when the items arrive and let the group know how the installation went.

Bob

Chuck,
I ordered part number 2294K5, NBR Rubber Heavy Duty Flat Belt and part number 75445A73 3M Scotch Weld Super Glue CA-5. Will let you know how it works.

Bob

Baltimore Belting has splicable machine tool flat belts. Just call them and explain your application, their belts are about $5 + shipping for something around a 13" southbend.

I just replaced the belt on my SB heavy 10. I got it from LeBlonde. It was expensive-$48 for the belt and $50 for the glue. I was unhappy with the price, but very happy with the belt. The glue up process is very simple. I think it would work on any type of composite belt.

I have used good old contact cement to put leather belts together for foot powered machinery. Not as much use as on one of these new fangled motorized lathes but it seemed to work very well for my application. Scarfing the joint to get a uniform and long taper was the most effort.

Thanks Ed

I also have my heavy 10 apart doing some needed repairs. I have read this post about belts and you have me thinking that I should change my old spliced belt to an endless serpintine belt. It would be the time to do it as the spindle shaft is removed. My only draw back is that I haven't read any facts from anyone that the serpintine works much better or as good as the flat spliced belt. Only that it is quieter. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Larry

I have had my serpentine belt on for a little over a year now. I like it far better than the old leather bolt. There is no slippage at all, it is quieter and doesn't stretch if left adjusted for long periods of time. I won't go back to leather belts at all unless there is no serpentine available. YMMV
The slippage everyone talks about being good is only needed for a novice machinist who is learning.

Larry, you must have must missed my post above, where I wrote:

I haven't found anything better than the multi-groove automotive serpentine belts for sheer driving ability. I've used the Texalon and straight leather, and it puts them both to shame.
There are two main requirements for a flat drive belt: high coeffecient of friction between belt surface and pulley, and resistance to stretch. A straight leather belt loses out on both counts, even though it "works". It doesn't grip the pulley surface nearly as good as rubber, and it is very stretchy. The serpentine belt has excellent driving friction and polyester cords to prevent stretching.

I'm eager to hear how the nylon-core SBR rubber belt works out for Bob. Should do a very good job.

Paula

I have a SB 13" and the belt is 61 1/4 x 1 1/8 x 1/8..

What kind of sepentine belt is used for this dimension. are 2 spiced side by side..

Thanks

Sal

Back