What's new
What's new

SB catalog #'s

skinnj1

Aluminum
I am fairly new to SouthBends and still learning... A seller across the state says that the lathe they have is 1. 11" swing, 2. model # 111B 3. 60" bed.

Is this an "old 11" SB or a 13" SB?
Any guess as to the thread of spindle,spindle bore diameter?

THANKS

skinnj1,
If you can get the seller to provide you with the serial #, someone here can tell you the particulars or you can call Lebloned, and they should be able to tell you what it is , when it was made and who bought it first!
Serial Number located at tailstock end of bed up by the ways
Jim

Skinnj1, I was kind of waiting for someone else to answer your question, since I know there are a few 11" lathe owners on this forum (or, at least there were).

I'm guessing that it's an 11" lathe, not a 13", as I've never seen that catalog number used for a 13". If it is, then it's going to be a pretty old lathe, as I believe that the last one was made in 1936. As to the specifications, I'm afraid I don't have any literature going back that far. Hopefully someone else will have the information.

Paula

There are many 11" lathe model numbers

But the literature I have does not list a 111B.

Bulletin 100 from April 1931 is the Series N underneath drive machines and the 11" model numbers are 164 for the quick change and 138 for the loose change.

Buletin 200 from March 30, 1931, is the countershaft driven series N, and these model numbers are the same as above but drop the first digit - like 64 and 38. The silent chain driven versions add a differing first digit - like 364 and 338.

The recently reprinted 1934 catalog 94 has a flock of 11" model numbers, none like above (with the exception of the silent chain driven). These are all the series "O" machines which were apparently being concentrated on in the depths of the depression. Series "O" machines had the single wall apron.

The double wall apron series "N" may not have been made after the early thirties due to market forces.

Easy to tell on apron which is which. Series "O" all have a star knob that is loosened, shifted and then tightened to select cross, neutral or long feeds. Series "N" aprons have a knob that you push in and pull out for this function.

John

speaking of SB catalogs, my newly "scored from ebay" cat #100B, from 1942 arrived today, in very nice condition too! Pretty cool having the sales literature from the same year as your lathe. And the coolest part was the Dealers sticker inside it was from my home town in PA. Small world. To keep this on topic, no 11 inchers in this cat, they must have dropped them before '42 eh?
Jim

Back