What's new
What's new

Flat Belt Suppliers?

Jim McGowin

Plastic
I started the hunt for a replacement flat belt for my 13”SB. I have the plastic outside / leather inside 2 ply (Extremuntus flat belt as the SB parts list calls it.) I have always liked this belt and would like to find a replacement from a supplier other than LeBlond, they want $143 bucks to my front door for 1 belt and glue……. if they still sell it, Who makes it? Anyone know of a supplier? I think it’s 1 ½” wide 1/8” thick.
Thanks, Jim M

Place in Greensboro, NC that specializes in flat belts...from leather ones to latest composites....look in web yellow pages under "belting" I think... McLeod Belting maybe...they can do presplicing also, such that you glue splice together after belt in place...none of that antique "alligator" metal mess.

McMaster Carr : http://www.mcmaster.com. I buy my belting for my South Bend 10k from them. Here is a part number for belting that I think is what you're looking for 6355K35. You just need to purchase the amount you need, and the lacing. The lacing information is also right on the part page.

I used a serpentine belt from a ford ranger.cost about 35$.Turn the belt insideout and run the smooth side on the pulleys.Works great

serpintine works on a rear drive but not so good on an under where you need to splice the belt

For my heavy 10 underdrive, I went to the local Fleet Farm and bought the cheapest serpentine longer than the original- under 20 bucks. I cut it and spliced it by using a V-shaped butt joint and a piece of the extra reinforced backing sewn over the joint. I also tried using a "wonder glue" to keep things flat but it didn't help- RTV silicone based. Maybe a urethane-type "Gorilla Glue" would work better.

I used a braided poly cord as thread and drilled the holes. I left the grooved side in and put the thread in the grooves.

How does it work? Great except my knots hit the pulley cover on the lowest speed pulleys. Also, these don't stretch like leather so you need to run less tension. My lathe came with a woven poly belt with and alligator splice. It slipped easily and needed a lot of tension. Probably explains why the lathe's countershaft was broken.

In the future, I plan to grind the splice a bit thinner and move the knots to the sides. I hated the sound of the alligator clip so this is better. I run the lowest speed with the top cover open.

Hope this helps,
Bill

I spent the $100 for the high tech belt with the glue and I love it. No noise or vibration and more forgiving if you forget to take the tension off for the day. Glueing it on was a bit intimidating but I made up a 5 inch long jig with a straight edge on one one side to referance alignment, placed a metal strip on top in sandwhich fashion and clamped it with two c-clamps. Life is good, pricey, but good!!

Back