What's new
What's new

Found myself a 14 1/2" project need some info/help

crazycuda

Plastic
I've been slowly disassembling the lathe and on the taper attachment (gonna call it a clamp) that rides on the way you snug down, was broken right at the point or top of where it rides on the way. Is that part only for the 14 1/2" or would one off a 13" or 16" fit? Anyone one have an extra for sale?

Another thing I noticed is that the ways are approx .018 lower at the head stock then at the tail stock. How I came about this is I ran the carriage full right, snugged up the adj bolt then slid table full left and used a feeler ga between the adj stop and the bottom of the carriage. I do plan on checking again after the table is off, using the flat area between the ways as my reference point. Unless there is another place to check from.
There are no wear grooves on the ways just some good deep scratches so I'm hoping nothing was patched and my naivety on lathes I missed it.

The lathe is missing the steady rest so I will need to try and hunt one down too, Hopefully that is not a hens tooth.

With the lathe being the small bore 1.325 am I understanding the old sb catalogs correctly that its a 4c Colet with no adapter. Basically can I just use a 4c Colet find a draw bar and nose protector and go I won't need the adapter.

Last edited:
I've been slowly disassembling the lathe and on the taper attachment (gonna call it a clamp) that rides on the way you snug down, was broken right at the point or top of where it rides on the way. Is that part only for the 14 1/2" or would one off a 13" or 16" fit? Anyone one have an extra for sale?

Another thing I noticed is that the ways are approx .018 lower at the head stock then at the tail stock. How I came about this is I ran the table full right, snugged up the adj bolt then slid table full left and used a feeler ga between the adj stop and the bottom of the table. I do plan on checking again after the table is off, using the flat area between the ways as my reference point. Unless there is another place to check from.
There are no wear grooves on the ways just some good deep scratches so I'm hoping nothing was patched and my naivety on lathes I missed it.

The lathe is missing the steady rest so I will need to try and hunt one down too, Hopefully that is not a hens tooth.

With the lathe being the small bore 1.325 am I understanding the old sb catalogs correctly that its a 4c Colet with no adapter. Basically can I just use a 4c Colet find a draw bar and nose protector and go I won't need the adapter.

Not much chance of finding the taper anchor, I would look into welding it. Post a photo of the broken one. part of mine is broken, it was broken when I got the lathe 35 or so years ago, still works fine. What is a Table?, lathes don't have tables. You must have been talking about the carriage. Try to use the correct name for each part of your machine, makes it easier for others to help and they won't think you are a moron. That sort of wear on an old SB s common, does not affect the accuracy all that much and will cost thousands to repair. SB beds are about as hard as warm butter so even if you repaired it the thing won't stay repaired for long.

Sorry about my improper reference to the carriage. Its been over 25 years since I've done anything with a lathe so remembering what is what is difficult. My brain automatically goes into knee mill references.
I'll try to get a Pict posted tomorrow after I get it out of the parts cleaner.

Recheck your spindle bore dimension at the small end of the spindle. It should be either 1.125 (small spindle) or 1.375 (large spindle, 5C capable).

allan

The steady rest only fits the 14.5" lathe. They are hard to find as the total quantity of 14.5" lathes is small.
I own a 14.5" and really like it. I responded to a posting for 13" SBL parts and found t he seller had a broken 14.5" steady rest. I bought it and all the 13" parts. The steady needed a small repair which we brazed in 30 minutes.
I an still looking for a follower rest but do have one for a 16" which I may use to build one for my 14.5" lathe.
Bruce

The taper attachment clamp I assume is the one that has a rod in and the clamp is at the end of the rod.
If this is the clamp you need, you can also use a collet rack clamp as they are almost identical. The collet rack clamp has an additional hole for t he vertical rod supporting the collet rack.
Bruce

Generally a used lathe with wear will be lower at headstock end, as that is where most action takes place. .018 seems excessive but not impossible, though if im reading correct, you dont want to check that way. You want a test bar to fit into taper of spindle and run carrage along ways with dial indictor on test bar. Test bars wont run full length though. Youll need a test bar in tailstock also.

With test bars you can work toward getting everything pointed at center, you may find find head stock low on chuck side, needing shims under it and changing pitch, but id be guessing without seeing it with test bars.

That lathe should take 5c collets, but you need adapter for spindle taper.

Getting a not exact follower rest to mount on carriage at correct height will probably be easier than getting wrong steady rest at approximate height.

The small end i'm getting 1.16 the large end i'm getting 1.32 it has 2 1/4 by 6 tpi on the spindle thread. They guy I got the lathe said it was the small bore and wouldn't work for his purpose.

Thank you on the follow rest link I saw that last night but wasn't sure on the fit

Thank you ,I was going to ask on if a Colet rack mount would work

Being the small bore version you will be much better off to use a collet chuck.

Hopefully you have at least one chuck or face plate so you can make your own backplates?

Forgot to add I'm going to need a tail stock spindle (hopefully that's the proper word) The one I have is extremely galled and wallowed out. I tried an mt3 dead center from my mill and it just flops in the breeze no way to get it to fit snug. I played with the thought of getting a reamer to up size it to an mt4 but the cost of the reamer vrs replacement not sure.

Another thing I noticed is that the ways are approx .018 lower at the head stock then at the tail stock. How I came about this is I ran the carriage full right, snugged up the adj bolt then slid table full left and used a feeler ga between the adj stop and the bottom of the carriage. I do plan on checking again after the table is off, using the flat area between the ways as my reference point. Unless there is another place to check from.

Regarding the taper attachment clamp:
Here is a link that shows the part numbers for I think what you are looking for item # 26. They are not the same as 13" or the 16".

http://www.wswells.com/data/parts/922D.pdf

Here is a link to a post about a couple weeks ago. You will find Ted's contact info in there. He was able to help someone find one maybe you will have luck.

Good luck

Regarding the taper attachment clamp:
Here is a link that shows the part numbers for I think what you are looking for item # 26. They are not the same as 13" or the 16".

http://www.wswells.com/data/parts/922D.pdf

Here is a link to a post about a couple weeks ago. You will find Ted's contact info in there. He was able to help someone find one maybe you will have luck.

Good luck

Link I forgot to attach

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/sb-13-taper-attachment-344845/

Yes 26 is the broken tie rod bracket. That diagram is very helpful now I can see what other parts I might be missing. Thank You

I recently picked up a 13-1/4" faceplate for my 16" SB thinking it would fit no problem, and it does. However, because the faceplate rides much closer to the headstock than a chuck with a backplate, 13-1/4" is just about the largest faceplate that will fit on my 16" without scraping the Sphinx feet on the headstock casting.

I learned just how close it runs the first time I screwed it on with two fingertips of my right hand sandwiched between the faceplate and headstock. The last of the blue fingernails finally fell off about two weeks ago. :)

If you were to scale the 16" centerline height down by 3/4" (to account for the 1-1/2" swing difference), a 12" faceplate on a 14.5" machine should fit but it's also going to be pretty snug to the headstock feet. Might want to measure before buying.

Back