What's new
What's new

Free lathe, almost

Obturate

Aluminum
A local auto garage has one of these sitting in a loft,
scan0016.jpg

The owner said I could have it for nothing, the catch is that I would have to get it down from the loft. It is about 12' above the floor. He used a large forklift to put it there.
The lathe looks fair/good, no rust, lots of dust. It has a collet draw bar and an odd looking 6 jaw chuck.
I could possibly rent a lift or hire someone to remove it for me. My question is what do you think the lathe is worth? I would expect a few hundred dollars cost to get it home.
Thanks,
Dan

If that lathe is something you want/can use, I'd say go for it.

I've seen a good 16" lathe for about $1,600, so I think it's safe to say this may be around that. If it comes with a taper attachment, even better.

It's certainly worth more than "a few hundred dollars".

Check it out and, if it's good, I'd say go for it.

Steve

Free to a good home is always a welcome invitation. For the small amount it will cost you. it should be a good machine. One caution, make sure the forklift is big enough to handle it safely and find an experienced person to run it. Good luck.

Just pay some machinery movers to do the job and call it a $400 lathe, which most likely is still a good buy. You have to wonder why it was stuck up there in the first place though...

Agreed with the other guys, just call it a $400 lathe. Where I'm from that would still be a steal but prices seem a little higher here in iowa than out east or west. Here, that lathe would probably bring $1500-1800. There is one listed here right now just like that for $2300 but it has been for sale for quite some time.

Cover your butt and have the pros move it. They have the experience and the insurance to cover everything given its location. Ask to look around and see if there's a box of goodies that goes with it he forgot about Plus it will be a great story to tell. Don't forget the photos. Good Luck

Absolutely do it!!

I would only check, as stated above, to see why it was pit up there- but I would think it was put away because it was still worth something..

TOTALLY worth the trouble to give it new life.. Wow, good for you! Make sure to update us...

Free is almost always good. Go for it ! Have professional machinery movers do it. They have the liability insurance to cover an accident or damage to the garage owners property. Can't think of one good thing happening when a 2500 pound lathe crashes to the ground!
If the bed is bad, you can always part it out and still make a little money. If the motor is bad, buy a new one, that's just a maintenance item.
There's a lot of good reasons to "go for it". Good luck!

Growing up in South Bend, with a few family members working for SBL company, and. having used that model lathe in my early years, I would love to have one. Any chance you would entertain the thought of selling it? just asking...
Gary

Having the pros move it is an excellent idea. If someone crashes it to the ground, it doesn't do you any good.

If anyone gets hurt, that would be even worse.

Remember, you still have to get it home and get it into it's final location.

Steve

Thanks for the input guys. If I go through with it I'll post pics.
The owner told me he bought it from a used tool store that was in business here about ten years ago. He said he had plans for it but didn't follow through and put it in the loft. He claims the motor worked well.
Dan

Where is Cheesland?
Dan

Growing up in South Bend, with a few family members working for SBL company, and. having used that model lathe in my early years, I would love to have one. Any chance you would entertain the thought of selling it? just asking...
Gary

Where is Cheesland?
Dan

It's one of those locations that cause Milacron to grind his teeth when he sleeps.

Or Wisconsin.

If it isn't mounted to a proper skid, do the riggers a favor and build one. You probably want to take guidance from them, just don't be surprised if the cost of building a skid actually lowers the cost of moving it.

It will most definitely reduce the risks.

is there a I beam you can hook a chain host to and lower it down.?? or take it a part and down the stairs. In any case you should get it, motor is no big deal to replace, my .02 cents worth.

Go for it! A nice SB is always something that will sell easily, they don't weigh a whole lot, and they are easy to learn on and straightforward to use.

Instead of trying to get it down yourself, a machinery mover might be the easiest and cheapest solution - if the lathe is dropped, it isn't worth a whole lot to anyone. If the mover can schedule this move when his crew has free time, the cost should be better than when they have to be there at a set time.

You can also take it apart. That is how I move lathes. It is not that hard. What will you do when you get it home anyway.... take it apart to clean, adjust, paint, lube and reassemble.

IT is well worth the effort and cost.

Ed S

Back