What's new
What's new

FS SB 16 parts taper att, mic stop, gears, more

cyanidekid

Titanium
hope this doesn't ruin anyones lunch, but this South Bend 16 was in operating condition until the scrapper who bought it for 20$ dropped it off a pair of furniture dollies, then abandoned it.

IMG_6081.jpg

it has pretty much everything except the carriage handwheel that they busted, the door to the motor hut, the tailstock end pedestal, and I'm sure they bent the cross slide screw in the process. just trying to save whatever dignity the old lady has left, but will need to cover my time and packing and shipping.

(sorry about the pic quality, would take a better one, but it won't look any better, really...think of it as a Weegee)

P.S. think I'm gonna go paypal only on it.

I would be interested in the compound assembly. If it has large dials, I would be interested in the dials/handles assemblies. I would also take the thread dial assembly. I think it would all fit into a flat rate box.

v8, yes, its the single tumbler. the spindle is probably ok, its not been used much in the last 60 years, only moderate bed wear. I think the scrappers got the steady rest, but will look. I have the collet setup, will trade that for a nice 10L collet setup. nt looks like small dials, will check for threading dial in the am.

just to be perfectly clear, I do not currently have possession. it is exactly as pictured, where it lies. the owner is being very reasonable, has to vacate the building soon though, and he would like a modest cut of the proceeds.
I have limited time to devote to this mission as well, so what I would like to do is gather the wish list(s), go once, (hopefully), disassemble, and when parts are at my place, I will take good pics of them and post. then we can decide price, first post getting priority, of corse.

does that sound fair? hope it works out for all, and we can call it a partial save at least!

Sach, I'm going to try to find a taker on the whole taper attachment first, and as the bed clamp arm has the collet tray post, maybe the collet set too? we will see..

If possible, get the serial number from the end of the bed. I am wondering if the spindle bearings are bronze or cast iron. I might take the collet setup too if no one else needs the parts. I do not have anything from a 10 to trade though. Just cash.

I'm looking for the front underdrive leg door latch assembly. I need the star-shaped knob, rod, and helical latch part.

PM or email me if available and not spoken for already.

Thanks,

Tom
thomas.utley at gmail.com

If you have the collet draw bar, I'd be interested. I should be able to shorten it to work on my 10L.

I think the rest of the collet parts are actually the same on the 10L, 13 and 16". Save the closer and spindle nose protector if its laying there. Someone will need those parts.

yes, the chip pan is gone since that photo, didn't get to pull the spindle, but the serial is 167559. I did pull some parts, will post some preliminary photos in the AM. cheers!

IMG_6130.jpg IMG_6126.jpg

got some parts off, did find steady and maybe follower rests, didn't have time to check follower for correct fit. will go back monday and finish stripping it, then wipe down and take better pics.

Attachments

• IMG_6126.jpg
    IMG_6126.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 204
Definitely still interested in the spindle if it survived, and those rests as well. Maybe some of the end gears, and compound if no one needs it. I know someone mentioned the collet closer. I would not mind spare collet parts, but I do know you can buy the tube to make a closer on eBay in various lengths. Did the gear box survive?

I think this is a 1945 machine, it may have cast iron spindle bearings.

Marc

Back