What's new
What's new

FS Southbend 9c

wmcm

Aluminum
Im moving to bigger machines and want to get rid of my 9c. It was great to learn on. Has tool holders. 4 jaw union chuck. Good shape. Asking 1000.00. Has micrometer stop but i dont have thread gears or thread dial. Face plate also with it. The center in the picture doesnt go with it. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20170419_141111.jpg
    20170419_141111.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 622
  • 20170419_141217.jpg
    20170419_141217.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 20170419_141221.jpg
    20170419_141221.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 20170419_141525.jpg
    20170419_141525.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 355
Im just goin on what i bought it as i have never looked it up. Ill get the serial number and we will find out.

It does have the power feeds so i guess its a 9b. Here is the serial number off the bed 116144

Nobody has said it, but since I'm close in PA, ill do it. You are overpricing it. You may be looking at $650-$700 on a good day. 9A's with more tooling, accessories, go for $1000 and less. You dont even have the change gears and it is a short bed length. No disrespect, just giving you a real honest reply.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. Was pricing high to get atleast a offer but probably not the best place to so it. Aint no thing nobody wants it ill scrap it and keep the tooling.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. Was pricing high to get atleast a offer but probably not the best place to so it. Aint no thing nobody wants it ill scrap it and keep the tooling.

You won't need to scrap it. Similar South Bend lathe's priced it that $700 range seem to disappear from the Cleveland Craig's list in about a week.

Before you scrap it just part it out. I haven't researched 9C parts, but a quick shake-down would go something like this:

headstock $125
reverse tumbler $25
misc covers $25
bed $50
feet $25
compound $75
apron $150
tailstock $100
motor $25
motor drive assembly/pulley $100
leadscrew $40
saddle $25
chuck $100
micrometer stop $75
carriage lock $20
drum switch $20
faceplate $20

That's $1,000. I wouldn't sell it for much less personally. No sense in taking a financial loss when you do not need to. eBay that stuff, let them take their 13% total and walk away with $870- or more.

Nobody has said it, but since I'm close in PA, ill do it. You are overpricing it. You may be looking at $650-$700 on a good day. 9A's with more tooling, accessories, go for $1000 and less. You dont even have the change gears and it is a short bed length. No disrespect, just giving you a real honest reply.

I completely agree. No change gears is a real deal breaker, IMO...and the lathe is not in great shape. The OP could take better care of his machine, and certainly should clean it up before taking picture, that will make people think he's keeps it clean. LOL

That's $1,000. I wouldn't sell it for much less personally. No sense in taking a financial loss when you do not need to. eBay that stuff, let them take their 13% total and walk away with $870- or more.

Kind of a PITA to part out though. Should sell it whole to someone that will get some change gears for it and clean it up. It will probably only fetch $400-$500 the way it is, but to part it out will take time.

Traditional is right. Should have cleaned it up before taking pictures. Ill only sell whole i dont have time to piss with parting it out. Like i said was throwing it out to see ifanyone would offer something worth while if not ill get rid of it. No big thing thanks for the comments.

Traditional is right. Should have cleaned it up before taking pictures. Ill only sell whole i dont have time to piss with parting it out. Like i said was throwing it out to see ifanyone would offer something worth while if not ill get rid of it. No big thing thanks for the comments.

Basically, here's the problem:

South Bend Change Gears | eBay

South Bend 9" 1" Lathe Set 13 Change Gears 9/16" Bore 8 to 32 Tooth | eBay

Those appear to be the only ones in ebay.

The set for $250 seems about street price to me. Still, it's not a cheap part, and not easy to find which is my point. And on top of that, most people would prefer a 9A with the quick change gearbox.

The upside is that it is a South Bend. And at least you can find parts for them as there were so many of them. Your lathe will take a motivated buyer that is willing to clean it up and use it, and willing to invest what it takes to get the gears, or even make the gears themselves if they're a good enough machinist. That doesn't speak out as an easy sale, IMO.

Your right man im not arguing that at all. But if you want to be blunt i know most people are cheap asses and want everything for nothing. So if you mark a machine at 500 you are lucky for some jackaloon to give you 250. So you put a higher price tag so you get close to what you want usually. It all in the game. If no body buya it or offers anything is what it is man.

Back