What's new
What's new

Southbend 16/24 rebuild

jwallweyfoundry

Aluminum
So it arrived and i have been in process of tearing it down to see what needs replace and possible rebuild. I found couple things that i will need to replace as i have been unable to get the parts unfrozen yet. I will try and add more picture as the disassembly progresses.

So we have run into first problem the quill in the tail stock is out o casting but can't get the internal screw out. I assume it has chips and or rusted together. I have seen were people use heat and wax to get between threads. Anyone else have ideas? I have been soaking in PB blaster nothing yet so figure would go to next step.

I'll assume quill is out and screw is still in it

On any lathe it is not uncommon for the end of the screw to be MUSHROOMED from all that tool ejecting over seventy or so years.

The screw end simply no longer fits thru the minor diameter of the quill nut

There is only one cure (unless quill nut is removable) - you saw off the screw and unscrew it thru the front, then you make a new screw

(I wonder if J.F.P. is JOINT FEDERAL PROPERTY?)

So we have run into first problem the quill in the tail stock is out o casting but can't get the internal screw out. I assume it has chips and or rusted together. I have seen were people use heat and wax to get between threads. Anyone else have ideas? I have been soaking in PB blaster nothing yet so figure would go to next step.

Sometimes the screw gets jammed into the spindle when it is fully retracted. There was a rubber washer in there to help prevent that, but they usually degrade and/or get cut in two and no longer work.
FYI: I have a N.O.S. spindle and screw for sale :D
Ted
[email protected]

I am not sure what the JFP stands for to be honest. I have already ordered a VFD for the three phase motor but still in process of rebuilding all the rest so that when i get the VFD i will be able to actually use it. I have everything else mostly apart accept the head stock. I have been painting and cleaning for days. I also o figured out why the chip pan wasn't originally on the machine when i got it from previous owner. It isn't the correct one or the hole pattern didn't match. So i did some modification (drilling) to make it work for this lathe. I am waiting on rebuild book so i can get felts correctly into the appron I am sure i will have some more questions as this rebuild continues.

Well got the screw out of tailstock today. So guess that makes less I need replace. Just screw and handwheel assembly. I keep pushing through just wana make chips. I think I can get saddle painted today and then start to reassemble that part. Next head and gear drive.

i have been busy with work so had little progress on the lathe. I will need to go back and redo a couple felts due to breakage. This is were i stand currently, I am working on the head stock which is mostly in pieces but have yet to get it primed and or painted.

Back