What's new
What's new

Furnas Model R33 drum switch to Century Model C310 Induction motor?

kleppermaster

Plastic
I just bought a very nice South Bend Model 9A bench top Lathe. It came with a Craftsman Induction Repulsion 1/3 hp motor controlled by a household wall type switch. I would prefer a straight Induction motor. They don't have the starting torque of I-R motors, but they maintain speed better. I also would like to have a reverse option. The original motor and control system would only go forward.

I have looked around on this site and I have found some information related to the Furnas R33 drum switch but now the Century C310 motor. I am trying to noodle out the wiring for these two devices.

I would like to use this switch and motor because that is what I have on hand.

I have managed to upload pictures of the motor wiring and the drum switch, but I haven't yet learned to put them in a post. So I will try to discribe what I see:

The Furnas R33 drum switch is designed for off-center Reverse-left & forward-right. The stator of the switch has six contacts. The rotor has 2 copper conductors. Lets say the stator contacts are numberd from top down on the left side 1,2 & 3. On the right side top down 4,5 & 6.

In the center position all stator contacts are open.

In the Left, Reverse position Stator contacts 1,4 & 5 are common & 2,3 & 6 are common.

In the right forward position Stator contacts 1,2 & 4 are common & 3,5 & 6 are common.

The Century Model C310 has a removable cover plate on the end of the motor. Instructions for wiring 120VAC vs 240VAC. Below this it says to reverse interchange the red wire and the black leads.

I have found a wiring diagram for the R22 switch on this site it is:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/motor-cleanup-repair-129205/

I am a bit confused by this post. It shows diagrams for the R22 switch and a schematic for connecting it to an induction motor, but I'm having a but I'm not sure it is right. My concern may not be a real concern, but I just wanted to know.

In the schematic, L1 is connected to contact 4
L2 is connected to contact 6
the Run stator winding is connected one end to contact 2, the other end to contact 3
The Start winding with in series start capacitor and switch is connected to the drum switch as follows:
The start capacitor is connected directly to drum switch contact 1. The Start winding circuit starts at Drum switch contact 1 to the start capacitor next in series is the cutout switch then the start winding. The other end of the start winding is connected to drum switch contact 3.

Here is the question:

When the drum switch is in reverse, L1 is connected to the start capacitor the other end of the start winding is connected to L2. When the drum switch is in the forward position It's just the opposite. L2 is common with the start capacitor and the other end of the start winding is connected to L1. This is the way I would expect it to be.

What I find odd is that the direction of the Run winding also flips when the switch is switched from reverse to forward. Is this OK?

The second question is assuming the Schematic is OK. What do I do with the Red & Black leads in my C310?

I'm pretty sure the red lead goes directly to the starting cap. Can I assume the Black wire got to the other end of the start winding?

Most posts say to switch T4 and T8 to go from forward to reverse. There are no such labels on the wires. The lugs that the wires are connected to are numbered 1 thru 6. In forward the red wire is lug 4 and the black wire is lug 6. for reverse the black wire is lug 4 and the red wire is lug 6.

Attachments

• IMG_2642.jpg
    IMG_2642.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2644.jpg
    IMG_2644.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg