What's new
What's new

Getting a South Bend: Worth it?

Halcohead

Stainless
The man who sold me my milling machine ($70 total, a heckuva deal...) is hoping to get rid of his 12x60" South Bend Lathe, which he says is from around 1915-1920. He offered to give me it, and help me transport it. Sounds like a great deal, except there's one catch: It's in pieces. The headstock is completely disconnected from the bed, etc. It's been disassembled into about as small a parts as possible. He claims all the parts are there, including a 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw, and a faceplate. He claims the ways are in good condition. There is no hidden cost or problem with the lathe, he just wants the space it's currently occupying.

I have about 600 sq. ft. to make a shop in. My parents aren't exaclty exited by the idea of me getting a large hunk of antique cast iron that I don't know how to assemble.

My question is: Is it worth it to go to the trouble of moving this lathe, and if so, how difficult will it be to assemble it? Should I ask for help to assemble the it? It is slightly more complicated than the average machine of that era, due to the fact that it has had a gear box attached to it so that shifts can be done without moving the flat belt. It has a motor.

Thanks for your time.

I upgraded to an 1950 South Bend 9" from a 6" Atlas. I'm a total newbie to machine tools. Completely disassembled the South Bend, except for the gearbox, cleaned and reassembled. It's a great lathe, I learned a lot, and anything you don't know, the folks here will patiently explain for you. One suggestion - if you don't already have one, the most important tool is a digital camera, so you can post pictures here when asking for help.

Good luck,
Jeff

JeffG: Good point about the camera. Also, i guess a camera's useful when disassembling something because you then have an image of what it should look like when it is together.

I guess I'll be getting the lathe. I doubt I'll ever need to use all 60" of bed, but better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Worst comes to worst I make an extremely precise optical bench...

Halcohead,

Take one of the best deals you will ever get.

Buy a copy of "How to Run a Lathe" and "Advanced Machine Works" from linseybks.com and then a used copy of "Machinery's Handbook" published by Industrial Press and you will be fully occupied for the rest of your life.

Make a fine telescope for starters.

Cheers,

Fin

from linseybks.com
Try http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Halcohead:

You can definitely put that SB together. In chunks they are easier to move. Just don't leave anything behind!

John

Fin: You just recited my top three wanted choices for shop literature. Also looking for some good literature on running a mill, but that's lower down (all I can find is orintated towards horizontal).

As for telescopes, I'm already on number two. It's a 10" F10 cassegrain with an F2.4 primary. Parabolizing will be like rough grinding with cerium oxide. Also working on plans for an aluminum focuser to compliment the scope. My last scope was a 10" F5 newtonian. BTW, I grind and polish all my mirrors, no cheating with a pocketbook...

John: Thanks for the site. I also have the Lindsay catalogue. As for transporting the lathe, it's currently resting about 2 miles from my shop, so it shouldn't be a huge deal to go back for any parts I'm missing. Gotta drop by to pick up a re-welded handle for my mill, anyways.

Back