What's new
What's new

Got a lathe and no idea how to use it

jtyson

Plastic
Yep. I'm one of those guys. I have zero experience machining. Beyond youtube of course. I've got a wood lathe, and a couple years ago, got it in my head that I wanted to make a couple specific items out of metal, so naturally, went to Craigslist, found an estate sale with a Southbend lathe and bought the entire estate. Yeah...I've got a problem. They sold the mill before I got there unfortunately. I was really hoping for one of those. Anyway. After the profit from the sales of all the other estate gear, I'm into this lathe less than nothing, so that is a bonus.

So yeah...two years and I finally decided that I either need to do something with this to make what I had wanted to, or I need to sell it and get the hundreds of pounds of gear out of my way.

My problem? I don't know what any of this stuff is beyond the basics. I understand the chucks, the tool holders, and the collets and such. But I don't really know how to use any of it all together. Turning on a wood lathe is crude and simple. So I don't want to apply the same principles to spinning metal.

Probably asking too much, but has anyone laid anything out for the aspiring self taught machinist? (Trust me I know I don't deserve the title) Like a guide or a picture book? Or maybe a metal lathes for dummies youtube video? Something like a micro crash course. I don't expect to become an expert, but I'd like to figure out how to set this thing up and make it spin metal without taking any of my fingers.

I'd be glad to take and post pictures if anyone cares to see them.

First the term “spinning metal” is a type of metal forming you want to learn to “turn metal” with your lathe.
Just start by clamping a piece of round bar in the chuck a tool bit in the holder and turn the bar to a smaller diameter, watch a few YouTube videos will help.

Yes post pictures, we all like to see pictures of your machine.

First of all have you looked at the YouTube videos from "mrpete222". He is a retired shop teacher, And he has several good videos on how to use a lathe along with other machinery. His videos are a great resource.

We can help you set up your machine, and get it running properly.

We can also help if you have any questions, After you watch his videos. Also make sure you get a copy of "how to run a lathe". It is a South Bend publication, and is very good to help get you started. You can find this publication as well as others at,

VintageMachinery.org | Welcome

Without knowing how far you are in setting up your machine and getting it ready to run, the only advice we can give you now is that of safety, which you probably already know since you been using a woodworking lathe. Such as wear safety glasses, never reach over the headstock, only reach over the tailstock, Don't play with the chips and so forth.
In this case it is always better to learn as you go, each project is different, and presents new challenges. Basically you have to learn by using the machine. And when we know what you need to accomplish, we can guide you through it.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

It's not that different from a wood lathe and perhaps better as you don't hold the tool in your hand.
I learned by the crash and burn method as Dad's only instructions where "This tee handle tightens the chuck, this handle move it back and forth, this handle moves it in and out".
Get a understanding on all the controls and what they do, chuck up some steel and make some cuts.
Start with hand feeding everything, The handles will give you feedback. This is a biggie that many cnc or even some manual machine operators never quite get.
Then play with the auto lengthwise feed but make sure you know how to stop it.
It is not as hard as many would make it seem. You can play with and learn a lot and no you_thingee video is a substitute for hands on Oh-shit.

I do the same as Dad when training young guys. They inevitably come in the next day with "I found this or that on the net" and suddenly they are a Guru.
You don't want to be that guy standing in front of me.

It's a new toy and different, play with it.
We are here to help but you have to try some stuff and walk out on that limb.
Bob

I can't help but wonder what kind of South Bend you have specifically. Most of the instruction you are looking for can be found in How To Run A Lathe.

What do you want to do, besides not lose a finger?

For a good read, as well as an excellent primer on what a lathe does, go the ABEbooks.com. Find yourself a copy of L.H. Sparey's "The Amateur's Lathe". Regards, Clark

Wow thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry took me so long to get back.

So yes, I'm aware of some basics. The safety stuff I've got down as that is my job - safety inspector. I know it is called "turning" not spinning.

I'm not familiar with any particular youtubers so I will check out the mentioned channels.

Lathe is a Southbend 9A. It came with the bench it is on. The motor is 110v and doesn't line up with the pulleys on the lathe very well, and I don't have a belt for it, so those things I'll have to tend to before anything. Also, the lathe is filthy, so I will need to clean it up. There are some dings in the ways and throughout the machine, so I may smooth some of those out if they appear to be catching anything up.

I appreciate everyone's willingness to help the new guy even though I come with no experience and nothing to offer in return.

Here are pictures - please excuse the mess. I'm trying to make my space workable, but have too little square footage for too much equipment. I went through the drawers and boxes of stuff I had with the lathe, and I've laid it all out and taken pictures so you guys can see what I've got. Possible that some mill tools or other random stuff may be in there. I'm not sure what all the things are, but I know some of it. I even found some books too.

IMG_2142.jpg
IMG_2143.jpg
IMG_2135.jpg
IMG_2134.jpg
fullsizeoutput_16c2.jpg

Tons of videos on YouTube from basic to advanced...
Basic...Mr.Pete222, Halligan142- has South Bends...Tom's Techniques...
Advanced...Adam Booth (Abom79), Keith Fenner, Keith Rucker, many more.

What's that odd-looking circular sort-of-a- steady rest thing?
Not hinged, with a flat base that won't fit your ways?

To start with, that looks like an excellent example of one of the most popular small lathes ever made. It also has all of the standard tooling and accessories, plus some of the more desirable upgrades. Congratulations on a nice acquisition.
2nd, I see you are in New Mexico. If you will narrow that down, there may be someone close enough to you that would visit and get you started. I have done this several times for people local to me. I love NM but it's a bit of a drive from DFW.

I'd wish you Good Luck, but you've already got your allotment when you snagged that 9A for cheap :)

I'm in Albuquerque, NM. I put that in my profile, but it isn't showing up for some reason.

Appreciate the heads up on those cast parts, I had no clue what they were. I still don't understand the cross slide casing in function, but the steady rest makes sense. Though I don't understand how it would attach.

Just out of curiosity, what would be considered the going rate for a setup something like this? Not exact, but ballpark. I know availability and what not changes that all.

Bit of back story - Like I said, it is basically free to me. I paid $2500 for this lathe, a whole slough of pistol, rifle and shotgun reloading equipment which I sold for about $1500, a ton of hand tools, some furniture, books, wood, and various knick knacks which I sold for about $1200. So technically, I made money and kept the lathe and a handful of hand tools that I didn't already have. Lots of leg work involved though. But I buy and sell lots like this as one of my primary incomes along with my regular job.

But the fella who passed and had all this, I believe he was trying to smith his own gun parts based on various notes I found going through his books and such. Maybe the steady rest would make sense for barrels?

When my schedule allows for me to dig into some videos, I think I'll do that, order a belt, read through a bit of that book I've got that you guys suggested and work on getting the lathe operational. Then maybe I'll dive in and screw up some metal. Would you all suggest starting with something softer? Like aluminum/brass/copper? More forgiving? Or just go straight to some steel round stock?

... The safety stuff I've got down as that is my job - safety inspector. ....

:eek:.. H&S guy.
Manual lathes are not safe, so many oh-poops. You are going to need guarding, lock outs .....:)

......Just a good natured poke with a smile. Health and Safety often likes to make my life difficult as they should but I have to push back when I can.
Yet even on the small guys like this... plenty of ways to get in trouble.
I guess it's now a video learn if you do not have a mentor.
Problem being most don't post video of "goes wrong", only their stuff of how it goes right for them.

Slow and easy.. baby steps. Crawl before you walk or run.
Bob

You have just about everything you need to get started. Are you familiar with the lubricants needed for this machine and where they go? If not, become so, and make sure you have some of each (4 different types) on hand as you will need to lube up each time you use the lathe.

See about finding a local metal supplier that deals in steel and aluminum. They will likely have a remnant or drop pile, and sell those pieces by the pound. If you want steel, 12L14 is easy to turn and relatively cheap. Easy to find. But if I were you, I would look for some 6061 aluminum, say 1-2 inches in diameter. Grab shorter pieces if you can and if you do not have a bandsaw or other way to cut the metal efficiently. Say under 12 inches long. A piece about 2 inch in diameter and about 6-8 inches long can help you with test cuts to set up the lathe.

I see you have a nice drill chuck, a nice center, and some holders for the quick change tool post. I don't see much in the way of turning tools, either HSS or carbide. I normally would not suggest this for a beginner, get yourself a SCLCR 083A holder. It has a 1/2 shank and should fit your quick change tooling. That will take 3/8 CCMT and CCGT inserts. For the aluminum buy a CCGT-32.51 insert,I use Korloy brand with AK chip breaker. See what you can find locally that is equivalent. If you have high speed steel blanks, use them. Learn to grind them. It will teach you a lot about tool geometry. The carbide insert I suggested will get you up and cutting pretty quickly. You will almost need a college course to get your head around carbide insert styles, grades, and nomenclature. HSS is very viable for you though.

The controls on your lathe are simple. Oiling it is easy. You have almost all the info you might need at your fingertips. You can be cutting in no time. The only way to learn this is to practice. Books and videos can be helpful, but actually doing it is what you need.

Marc

Would you all suggest starting with something softer? Like aluminum/brass/copper? More forgiving? Or just go straight to some steel round stock?

I'm a relative NOOB, so you may be able to relate to my common lingo.

Start with aluminum. It's nice and soft, not horribly expensive like brass, and will give you a beautiful finish if your cutter is sharp. Cutting it does not generate a great deal of heat and you can get by without using any oil.

The one thing that I don't see much mention of is chatter. That's when you are cutting and there's a bunch of vibration and noise, and you'll see wavy patterns in the cut material. You want to have a nice hissing sound coming out of the cutter with a shiny, smooth finish. If the finish is fuzzy, you probably have a dull cutter. When you get chatter, that means you're cutting too fast, too deep, have the cutter extended out too far, the cutter is dull, or have the part extending out of the chuck too far, or a combination of these. But it's mostly speed and cutting depth that creates the most chatter. With aluminum, you won't have too much trouble with this, but once you move to steel you'll be dealing with it frequently. You can also cut aluminum quite fast, while steel will require you to slow things down quite a bit. If you are getting blue chips with steel I think you need to slow down. I think amber colored chips are just right - correct me if I'm wrong.

Be careful of the chips. I like to get a continuous ribbon of metal coming off the cutter, but in that case you will also have a building rats nest that can get picked up by the turning part or chuck and start flapping around. It can get wild. These ribbons are super sharp and if you grab one with your tender fingers while the machine is running, it could rip it out of your grip and slice you up pretty good. I hear many people say that a good cutting operation should have the chips breaking off regularly. I haven't figured that one out yet.

A few more don'ts when operating your lathe. Don't wear gloves, jewelry, loose clothing or anything that can get caught by the Chuck or other moving parts. You can get wrapped up in the blink of a eye. That small lathe can hurt you, a big one can kill ya. It's kinda gruesome but look up lathe accidents to get some idea

Back