What's new
What's new

Greased gear teeth?

Ronniet

Aluminum
Finishing up the clean up and re-wicking of my 11" lathe, when I was in the gear box I greased the gears with some teflon grease, was wondering what to use on the gears at the rear and on the back gear? these on the rear has oil holes for the shafts but do you grease the gear teeth? and how often? the rear cover has 3 bolts to remove to get access to the gears.
Thanks,
Ron

I use Vactra #2 on the back gears and the rear geartrain. I apply a bit before any operation which involves use of those gears.

The gearbox I do not grease. Rather, I keep it full of gear oil.

-Ryan

Ronnie, grease has a tendency to hold in chips/dirt/gunk and as such is not a good lubricant for a dirty environment. A little shot of way oil here and there is all that's required.

I use Cling brand open gear and wire rope oil on the back gear and geartrain. Comes in a spray can. Slightly smelly but won't fling off the gears . sticky but will run off the gears when not in use. Easy to clean up with some mineral spirits or windex. Quiets the gears considerably.

Never use grease on a lathe......ever. It collects chips and adds resistance and unecessary load. These machines are designed for oil for very good reason. The best protection you as an owner/operator can provide is habit. Every time you use the machine, lube the machine with an oil can. Then clean and wipe down the machine after use. Think about how old these SBL machines are. They existed pretty damn well all these years on just oil and not overly viscous stuff at that. Use 30wt or 350 Saybolt oil with NO addititives. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Back