What's new
What's new

Half Nut Engagement vs Thread Dial Indicator

Tecmec

Plastic
RE: SB9A; Notice that when I go to engage the half nuts on a thread dial indicator line most times there is resistance and the half nuts actually engage just past the line. I assume the next tooth of the lead screw. Is this because of operator error, half nut wear and/or lead screw wear or is there an adjustment/alignment I have messed up. As always, thanks to all for taking the time to comment and advise. I find the PM website and forums one of the best out there. My commendation and thanks to the moderators and to the participants.

RE: SB9A; Notice that when I go to engage the half nuts on a thread dial indicator line most times there is resistance and the half nuts actually engage just past the line. I assume the next tooth of the lead screw. Is this because of operator error, half nut wear and/or lead screw wear or is there an adjustment/alignment I have messed up. As always, thanks to all for taking the time to comment and advise. I find the PM website and forums one of the best out there. My commendation and thanks to the moderators and to the participants.
lines dont line up perfect dont worry about it. probably could shim it so line lines up perfect but why bother. as long as you dont mistake one line with the next line thats all that matters

If the 9A thread dial is like the one on my 10L, there is a set screw accessible through the hole in the side of the dial where the oil goes. Rotate it around until you find it. Loosen it and you can re-clock the dial if it bothers you. Mine engage a slight bit after the line as well, I haven't bothered to fool with it. I just know to engage the lever as its lining up and it drops in perfectly.

for minor adjustments just loosen the set screw that hold the dial on the apron...that will allow it to slide a bit on the round shaft sticking out of the apron, with the halfnuts engaged slide it until the lines match up and re-tighten set screw.

Back