What's new
What's new

Half nut interchangeability

CBM

Plastic
Hi I'm new to the forum and I am in the process of restoring an old 1945 or 1946 9C. The half nuts are missing and these are the last pieces I need. An old army manual shows the 9A,B and 10K having the same half nuts with part #AS72NK1. There seems to be a lot of experience in this forum and I am wondering if anyone knows if the half nuts for the three machines are interchangeable?

Just one point of interest. Yes all workshop lathe half nuts are the same except the 1934 35 catalog number 405 that has left hand threads. The nuts look the same but are not. Not that your going to find any but just making a point that not all things that look alike are.

Turk

Thanks all , It looks like one of the members here will fix me up with a rebuilt set. South bend re: Grizzly wants $25 dollars to locate your serial number card before they will let you order plus it seems the half nuts are about $250 ,at least they are keeping the old machines running.

Grizzly does not stock the half nuts and has not contracted with a supplier to make them. I have been hounding them for over a year and the poor guy who answers the phone said that management has been told of the need, but they will not address it. Several notes to papgrizzly have gone unanswered. I am stuck and in need of several sets. If anyone has part# AS72NK1 available, please let me know.

Take your old half nuts and mount them to a heavy chunk of steel just like they mount in your machine. Put this jig in a four jaw and bore the old threads out. Get a piece of cast or bronz and thread for your 8tpi leadscrew. JB weld this threaded bushing into your half nuts. when it sets up, split it. I don't do the nines but I would fasten the parts in the lathe while the JB is still soft. You are then assured of a perfect fit. I have 10L and 14.5 halfnuts for sale but sorry no nines. Kenny

sorry if I missed that but I bet there is someone who will send him a set for the shipping. I gave away my last set of nines three or four months ago. Kenny

Back