What's new
What's new

Having Trouble Removing Quick Change Gearbox Screws

jinacio

Plastic
Hello everyone,

This is my first post, but definitely not my last. I recently purchased a South Bend 9A and I am in the process of disassembling it so that my friend and I can safely move it from my vehicle to my basement. I'm attempting to remove the quick change gearbox but am having trouble with two of the three screws that secure it to the ways. Do you have any suggestions on how to remove these stubborn screws? Because of the head stock, I have to place the screw driver on a slight angle, which is causing it to slip out...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan

I would first squirt the screws and if you can squirt where the crack is between the bed and QC with a good penetrating oil and table on it with some cold roll steel to vibrate the liquid into the treads. Then go to the auto store and buy a hammer impact screw driver. Buy the better one as the cheap ones break. You may have to make a longer driver if its in a cramped space. Sometimes you have to drill them too and replace with new. I am sure some of the others have some suggestions too. good luck..Rich

Not the end of the world to remove the headstock to get a straight shot at the screw. Will also let the impact screwdriver work better as well.

Not the end of the world to remove the headstock to get a straight shot at the screw. Will also let the impact screwdriver work better as well.

Remove (or at least move, to the side) the headstock. Impact driver.

If you don't have an impact driver you'll still have to shift the headstock somehow so you
can get in there to drill the screw out after the slot's been buggered up.

agreed on pulling the headstock. If the idea is to take it apart for easier movement, that headstock is a fair chunk of weight anyway.

Yes to the hand impact driver...most guys say the HF one is fine.

since you are going to pull the gearbox anyway make life a little easier on yourself and replace the slotted screws with hex socket screws, then in the future you can use a long ball ended hex wrench for easy removal of the gearbox for periodic cleaning.

I stopped by Lowes this morning and picked up an impact driver and an extension (would've stopped by HF but I didn't have enough time). I was able to remove the quick change gearbox and then proceeded to remove the headstock as per your suggestions. I'm very excited to say that I was able to move all of the pieces from my car to my basement with ease. I will be reassembling the lathe tonight after class.

Thanks again.

Back