What's new
What's new

head stock oiler's

Frank Fox

Plastic
I replaced the front oiler on my SB-13, head stock noticed some thing funny. The pipe plug that is just above the oiler cup, Aint there on either oiler. Only an un taped hole? Just a vent? was painted shut, so drilled it out, think most of the paint came out in/on the drill. I used my pump(plues) oil can and pumped oil in the newly cleaned out hole, and oil overflowed out of the (Gits) oil cup There is NO drain plug below the filler cup (cant drain reservor) I also noticed there is no (GITS) oil cup for oiling the tail stock? There is no (GITS) oiler on the belt tentioner, handle bearing, like the tail stock, just a hole to put a drop of oil in as also on the lead screw hi-lo lever by the "single tumbler" QC box. This is an ex-NAVY 1942 lathe.
Should I think about drilling a drain hole and tap it for a pipe plug, same for vent hole's, tail stock for a GITS oiler? dont do any thing?
Frank

I do know for a fact the cast base heavy tens, had the single tumber versions equipped
with tiny bronze plugs, with a split bottom, to keep the belt tensioner hole clean, and
the top lever hole clean. Those tend to be lost to the ages on neglected machines.

They look like this. I included a oil daber for the tail stock.

Not my drawing.... Matt posted these.

these are for a 9" so check your hole size.... probably the same.

Ed S

Attachments

• Matt Six (3).JPG
    Matt Six (3).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 307
  • Matt Six (2).JPG
    Matt Six (2).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 278
Thanks Ed. I think I will do nothing about the drain holes and run a tap in the vent holes so I can use a screw to plug and it will be removeable if needed ( 6 or 8-32) or what ever size will fit the hole? I may put a "GITS" oiler in the tail stock and the belt handle?
What you think?

The mini pipe plug just above the spindle oil cup is plugged for a reason. If you pull the main spindle or bearings out, you use this plug to insert a piece of wire to retain the spring-loaded felt oiler. You push the felt oiler down until it is below the hole and stick a piece of wire in the hole to retain the felt wick. After you re-install the spindle and bearing, you pull the wire out to release the felt wick against the spindle.

If you ran a drill into them, you may have damaged the felt if the bit snagged some of the wick fibers. You now probably should pull the spindle and bearings and inspect the felt wick. It would be a shame to burn your bearings up for a simple mistake.

Frank

Back