What's new
What's new

Head stock spindle shims

woodtickgreg

Aluminum
There has been some discussion on the south bend forum about head stock spindle shims, I have made calls to grizzly and found out that they only sell parts for the newer lathes, for the older lathes they refered me to the new south bend lathe co. They no longer have any shims for the heavy 10L, but do have some other parts still. I needed shims as mine where quite mangled and I'm sure there where not enough to achieve an accurate set up. So I came up with an idea of how to make them without having to purchase any tools. I am also a wood worker so I thought I could use my scroll saw and stack cut the shims out of brass shim stock since it is soft. I cut out some paper templates out of index card stock, drilled one hole through the stack and cut them out. I taped the stack of shims together before drilling and cutting. It worked! They are not perfect oem parts but they will work after I debur them with a small needle file. I used 12 sizes of shim stock from .001" to .015" and a .0015" for a half a thousandth shim if needed. This should give me any possible configuration I would need. This was way easier than trying to cut them out one at a time, and they are all the same. It's just another way to do something yourself and on the cheap. Here's a couple of pics.

cutting-shims-001.jpgcutting-shims-002.jpgcutting-shims-003.jpgcutting-shims-004.jpg

Back