What's new
What's new

Fairbanks Lathe - What to do with it?

loves80z

Plastic
I know this is kinda off topic in south bend but I think this group would understand the dilema...
I bought a 13" South Bend a couple months ago. I am going to clean it up and change the wicks before I start using it.

It is replacing a Fairbanks 12" lathe. I hate to just scrap the lathe. It was made around 1900. The company was only around for a dozen or so years before the factory burnt down. The spindle needs reground and bearings remade. There is lots of lash. The cone pulley was set up off the back of the leggs and doesn't tension totally straight. The lathe has the change gears, thread dia, steady rest, face plate.... I made a bunch of non-critical parts with it.

Should I sell it cheap or scrap it once the 13 is running? I don't want to put the time into fixing it. I've even considered giving it away if I knew it was not going to get scrapped.

I am not familiar with that machine, but I can understand how you feel. Have you done any research to see if that machine has any kind of following? Maybe check with vintagemachinery.org. Might find someone that would like to restore it cosmetically for display purposes.

Best of luck to you.

Marc

Totally agree with your sentiments on the lathe and not wanting to just scrap it. Hope you find someone to keep it whole. That said, just before your drop the lathe off at the scrap dealer, unbolt the cast iron legs and sell them on Ebay. You will be shocked how much coin comes back to you.

Before you do anything with it, contact the guy At Lave.uk . His email address is below

Tony Griffiths at [email protected] .

That's one he does not have listed. I'm sure he would like to have pictures, and as much information about it as you have.

And speaking of pictures, We would love to see a few.

Stay safe and have fun.

Joe.

I think this thread is more appropriate for the Antique Machinery forum. It's more likely that some member of that forum could be interested in your lathe.

Paolo

Thanks guys. All good suggestions.

Paolo, you are right. I didn't look for an antique section.I got South Bend on the brain.

Fairbanks.jpg

Finally took a pic.

Its not very sexy, but for its age it has a lot of features. Threading and 3 different power feed ratios on a separate bar from threading.

I sure would not scrap it. The lathe looks South Bend equivalent size wise to a 13" with maybe 28" between centers. Belt drive for feed plus change gears for threading plus some accessories.
John

Back