What's new
What's new

Headstock disassembly

Flying Dutchman

Cast Iron
Headstock Disassembly

Is there any special 'trick' in removing the Spindle?? I've loosened all the Cap Screws, Expander Screws and Take-up nut expecting the spindle to slide out. Wasn't planning on taking the Headstock apart at first for repainting, but figured that I would like to change the Oil Wicks and flush the Bearing Oil System based on the amount of crud and debris found elswhere in the lathe (QC Gearbox, Apron etc.).

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Piet Butter

What size lathe do you have? Most spindles just slide right out, with just removal of a few parts. If its a 9" or 10K or similar. Tighten back up the bearing caps. All you need to remove is the small spindle collar on the far left side, it threads off after you loosen the screw. Remove the thrust bearings behind the collar. Now you can slide the spindle toward the headstock. But it is pressed into the bull gear. So use a lead hammer or a block of wood and tap the spindle end toward tha tailstock ---->. But have someone help you to catch the spindle or run your tailstock with the ram out to catch your maybe flying spindle as you tap it to the right. It is only tight on the 3/4" wide bull gear. It sould come right out....Bob http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/

Bob,

thanks for your quick reply. Boy, you must be up early.

The Lathe is a model 9A (1957). I've tried a slight tapping using a piece of wood and a light hammer before but did not want to pres ahead in the fear I might be damaging the Bearings. Is the assembly process exactly the same but in reverse?? If the Bull gear is press-fitted on how would I know when I am far enough when reassembling??

Really do not want to mess up anything as having to buy parts having them shipped and import duties paid will cost me a small fortune.

Thanks again and best regards,

Piet Butter

Piet, Yes up early and finally a day off. Yes putting it back together in reverse order is correct. The bull gear will reseat itself where it was, you just need to tap on the chuck end of the spindle....Bob

Back