What's new
What's new

Headstock oilers 10L

plbenoit

Cast Iron
What Is the deal with the headstock oilers on the heavy 10? On my 9" the oilers thread right into the headstock casting. On the 10" They don't unscrew, in fact the spindle front oiler has no clearance to turn. When I took the paint off it looks like someone brazed the cups on the end of the tubes. What is the procedure to remove them? I don't want to grab the vice grips and rip them off if I don't have to. Thanks
Paul

I have the same issue with the oilers on my 10L, but I think there is clearance for the left-hand one to unscrew. I guess the procedure is to go ahead and tear them off, then replace with something that makes both reservoirs easier to fill and drain.

Gregm

"When I took the paint off it looks like someone brazed the cups on the end of the tubes. What is the procedure to remove them?"

If they're brazed, they are probably the original ones made by Gits Manufacturing from bar stock.

The current ones are made by a different method.

Gits Manufacturing has a web site, and it will sell direct.

The best way I have found to remove them is to take a bolt extractor, grind the tip so that it will engage the oiler body but not project past the oiler and into the shaft, then use that extractor in the usual way.

I have a set of modified extractors for all the standard Gits oiler types usually found on machine tools.

Very handy when refurbishing machines.

The refurbished machine gets a set of new Gits oilers.

If the machine is just being repaired, then I might reuse the oiler if it wasn't damaged during extraction.

(Some super critical people want to keep things as stock as it possible, and those brazed Gits oilers are very difficult to come by).

[This message has been edited by peterh5322 (edited 05-19-2004).]

Peter,
Thanks for the info. My oilers are soldered and they are definately not "factory weld". I figured I would have to replace them , just wanted to know how to get them out.
Paul

Back