What's new
What's new

Heavy 10-3ph 1hp 208V power options?

Grits

Stainless
My new (old) heavy 10 has a 208V motor. My phase converter is a 220-240 3hp RPC unit. I am considering 3 opition.

First, use a 220-240V 3ph motor. If so what else needs to be replaced other than the motor?

Second, replace the motor with a single phase motor and eliminate converters, etc.

Third, use a VFD with either the existing motor if possible or replace the existing with option one.

What are your thoughts? I would like to hear what you experienced folks, that have faced similar situations, have to say.

Thanks, Grits

I am going to wait until the *real* electrical
folks weigh in here, but my first guess would
be that, unless it was a very old motor with
degraded insulation, it could be run on 240
volts with no harm. It will draw less current
and heat less.

If you feel strongly you *must* run it on
208 then you could purchase two buck/boost
transformers.

Jim

My lathe is a 1984. I feel the motor is original. I was letting it run with no load and it shut down twice. The motor did not seem hot, just a little warm. I felt it should run fine on the 220-240 RPC. Maybe I have another problem. The resets can be adjusted on my irrigation units. I saw no adjustment in the panel of the lathe. Just a little box that said The 208V. The electrical end of this is my weal suite, although I can usually read a wiring diagram. I I learned how on hot summer days, usually weekends when there is no one to call, with my crops burning up.

Grits

Well, right or wrong, I bought a VFD and 1 hp 3ph motor on a combination deal from Dealers Electric. The motor on my lathe was questionable. I could have converted to single phase for a a third less money but my versitility would be (theoritically) less. I will post when and if I get everything working.

Thanks for your comments, Grits.

I think you will be quite happy with that
solution. You will be able to leave the
leather belt on the middle pulley and
control it all from the VFD.

If you have the money, that is the class way
to go.

I would remote the VFD logic to a control
box by the headstock, with a speed pot and
a forward/off/reverse switch.

Jim

Agree totally, you could have spent a little less for something a lot less useful, or a lot less and been constantly worried about the system giving up altogether.

Hope it all works as well as it should.

Nick

Back