What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 5C Nose Cone Pin

ksimolo

Aluminum
Hi,

I purchased a used heavy 10 that I am starting to go over. It appears to be in very good shape but does have a few issues. The first that I am tackling is that it came with three 5C Nose cones, all of which have the small pin sheared off. Looking with a magnifying glass, I can not tell what style head these pins have. It is possible that they tried to remove them and stripped whatever head was there. It looks like there are threads so I do not believe it is just a pressed in pin. Is that correct? Does anyone know the specs for this pin and what style head it is supposed to have? I really do not want to bugger it up more by just trying whatever I can find to get it out. Worst case, I can drill it out and if the threads get damaged, I can tap a larger size and grind the end of the screw to be like the original.

If it is just a press fit pin, then i can press it out and replace.

I did search on the web for quite a while and I could not find anything.

Thanks for your help.

I haven’t replaced one like this personally, but I would assume the pins are just a snug press fit and not threaded. I would also assume the pin shouldn’t be hardened to save wear on the collets. I could be wrong on both counts, too, just educated guesses.

I’d be interested in buying one of your extras if it’s otherwise in good condition. DM me if interested in parting with one.

I also think its just a round mild steel pin. its only an anti-rotation piece to allow the handwheel to spin on without turning the collet in the closer. I can check mine out when I get home if it will help. I know my pin is partly worn though.

Thanks everyone for your answers. Mine had some ridges that looked like threads but they might just be marks from installing. A simple pin certainly makes my life easier.

Ken

not being pedantic, but do people actually call a spindle sleeve a "nose cone? to me a nose cone is something that goes on the end, and comes to a point. rocket, not socket..

well, maybe I AM being a bit pedantic... :)

Back