What's new
What's new

Heavy 10

Gunnermhr

Plastic
Ok, so my serial number is 5284RKL11. I need new back gears and I see on eBay 10, 10L, 10K , 10R gears listed. What do I need to look For? Are all 10" back gears interchangeable?

Ok, so my serial number is 5284RKL11. I need new back gears and I see on eBay 10, 10L, 10K , 10R gears listed. What do I need to look For? Are all 10" back gears interchangeable?

Nope. There are two styles of 10" machines. The "light" 10 (10K) and the "heavy" 10 (10R = regular/small bore spindle, 10L = large bore spindle). Look for 10R/10L parts for your machine.

Ok, thank you. So the 1st letter in the serial number is the designator? Sorry for the newbie questions.

Gunner,
You should look here:
http://www.wswells.com/serial_number.html
An informative chart provided by Steve Wells (in which he gives credit to Robert Lang) that explains the letters in your serial #.
The first letter (R) is for "Heavy 10 Inch (10R or 10L)", the K is for "Quick Change Gear (QCG), Friction Feed Apron, Underneath Motor Drive (UMD" and the L is for "Large Spindle Hole, Standard Swing".
So according to this information, you have a 10L & should have 2 1/4" x 8 threads on your spindle (provided it has a threaded spindle) and an 1 3/8" spindle hole.
CWC(4)

Thanks CWC. Not sure Jim, i know a bob rozen that shoots 1000 yard, if your related to him.

I'm Mike Redin from central PA

Thanks CWC. Not sure Jim, i know a bob rozen that shoots 1000 yard, if your related to him.

I'm Mike Redin from central PA

OK, not that gunner. The one I'm thinking of was an arizona native named mark weber who went by the moniker 'gunner'
in the old rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup.

Mark was a field tech who did a lot of work on hardinge stuff, and also published one of the best step-by-step instructions
for changing the spindle bearings on an HLVH, among other things.

Back