What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Broken Cross Feed Bushing, Options?

D_C

Plastic
1943 SB Heavy 10 (10L).

Was disassembling Cross Feed to install a New brass Feed nut. The front bushing (behind the dial) resisted removal a bit and though I tried to be careful, the large-dial bushing (octagonal) came apart.

At some point in the past, it had broken (typical) and been brazed/bronze-weld repaired.

I searched old PM posts for information. Good information. That said, I contacted PM member Chad (iwannanew10K) but he no longer repairs broken bushings.

He told me about Miller Machine and Fabrication, that they were expensive, etc. I emailed them yesterday, but have not heard back yet. Wonder how much they charge?

In any event, are there any other sources for the part or people who repair them?

I may wind up needing to do it myself. My personal skills are good, but very slow as I don't work at machining parts often enough to be efficient.

ThanksIMG_0749.jpg

It's not really that complex of a part to make yourself if you have another lathe. There's drawings available on the web at well as the broken original which you have.

Teryk

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

depending how much material is there and the tools available you might be able to fix that. Face it off where it broke, and counterbore it some. Make a new threaded bit with an un-threaded stub endthat will fit into the counterbore. Braze the parts together, machine down the braze area as needed to make it thread in.

You can probably even do this on your lathe. Lock the cross slide and use the compound for feed. Its a limited range obviously but I want to say there is about 2" of travel. If the stock isn't horribly oversized, that ought to be enough.

Yes, I'm sure I can do it one way or another. Still, would be nice to just send it out to someone who has been through it before or just buy a replacement at a reasonable price. I'm buried in other projects at the moment.

If need be, I Thought about boring it to 1/2 inch ID and insert a 3/8 x 1/2 inch bushing to tie it back together.

I have another lathe, a small Atlas 618. I don't have a lot of experience cutting threads. Today I bought a 25/32 16TPI die to do the threads if need be.

I could try to make one from 2 1/4 round x 3 1/2 stock. Or, reuse the front octagonal portion and make a New threaded back portion, tieing them together with a bushing.

Finally, 22-Months later, Finished...

EEFFA22A-0155-42B7-BBCE-DF611235ACC4.jpgWell....It only took me 22-months, but I finally have the Bushing fixed.

Probably took me 40 hours (over the last few weeks) and several hundred dollars in tools, but it works.

Part of it was doing some repairs and upgrades to my tiny Atlas 618 (my other lathe in my garage at home, my very first lathe, purchased in 1989.), improved shop lighting, etc. Plus, time required to practice turning threads, finding a thread gear calculator, buying a 40-tooth gear, on and on...

Also, the learning curve. I hadn’t done much threading over the years.

Tried making acceptable Bushing threads with a carbide thread cutting tool. After numerous failures, wiping the threads, not achieving acceptable thread depth, I spent $90 and bought an indexable insert thread cutting tool which made it soooo... much easier, perfect threads.

Exactly why I wish I could have bought a replacement part or sent mine out for restoration. Lots of time and money.

In any event, it’s finally finished.

Appreciate the help earlier in getting the repair drawings and advice.

I wound up drilling a 5/8 inch hole in the octagon/salvaged original Bushing. Next, I made the replacement shaft from 1-inch steel rod. I turned it to rough dimensions, then cut the threads, then turned to finished diameters, drilled 3/8 inch through the center of the shaft, parted it off, touched it up a bit, then press-interference fit the repair shaft into the octagon.

It all went together nicely and the cross feed now works.

Thanks again.
Derek C.

Last edited:
View attachment 249203

Exactly why I wish I could have bought a replacement part or sent mine out for restoration. Lots of time and money.

Always check with Ted for parts like this. I had one broken in the exact same spot about a month ago and ordered one up from him for $90 or $100, I don't remember. Totally worth the savings in time.

It looks good though. If you want to fix another one let me know and I'll send you my broken one. :D

Well done on the repair but man that's only a few hours work to make, unless you particularly want an original cast-looking piece.

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, very early on when I first made the post (April 2017) I tried to find a used one or someone who could make or fix my old one, with absolutely no luck. There had been someone who had a side business repairing/restoring the Bushing/part, but he had just quit doing it within the last year before or so. Don’t know if it was health reasons or what?

With regard to how long it took, I actually lost track of all the hours and hours spent, including all the internet research spent figuring out how to best go about various aspects, plus time spent buying tooling. A lot of the time was spent working on the Atlas making minor repairs, etc.

Also, practicing on scrap before attempting the final part. Then, taking time and going very slowly to not need to do everything all over a second or third time. Once you have some time invested and completed processes, you get even more careful so as not to need to scrap it out and start over again. Measure twice, cut once.

Oh well. Learned some things along the way and the old Atlas Lathe is in much better shape now. Also, I installed an LED Strip light above the Atlas lathe and a better electrical outlet too. The old clip light above the lathe broke and flashlight in my mouth got old pretty fast. Much better lighting now.

DC

Well, not exactly... Though always still learning.

I bought the Atlas 618 in 1989 and have used it over the years, lots of small projects, just not much threading. Some extended periods of little use over the three decades. Did learn much more about threading during this project.

In 2012 I bought a 5-foot bed, South Bend Heavy Ten lathe. I was restoring it as it had spent three months outside in the rain before I bought/rescued it.

Somewhere in the lathe’s history, and maybe several times, the cross feed Bushing became broken and was brazed or bronze-weld repaired. When I removed it for restoration, it basically disintegrated.

You wouldn't happen to have a sketch of this part that you would be willing to share would you? I'm in the same boat needing a bushing for a heavy 10 that got dropped in shipping. I'm pretty sure I could make this part at work if I had some dimensions.

1943 SB Heavy 10 (10L).

Was disassembling Cross Feed to install a New brass Feed nut. The front bushing (behind the dial) resisted removal a bit and though I tried to be careful, the large-dial bushing (octagonal) came apart.

At some point in the past, it had broken (typical) and been brazed/bronze-weld repaired.

I searched old PM posts for information. Good information. That said, I contacted PM member Chad (iwannanew10K) but he no longer repairs broken bushings.

He told me about Miller Machine and Fabrication, that they were expensive, etc. I emailed them yesterday, but have not heard back yet. Wonder how much they charge?

In any event, are there any other sources for the part or people who repair them?

I may wind up needing to do it myself. My personal skills are good, but very slow as I don't work at machining parts often enough to be efficient.

ThanksView attachment 196552
Hi DC. I am trying to remove the bushing on my Southbend heavy 10L. The damn thing won’t budge. I also have a taper attachment.
Do you know if this bushing is meant to unscrew, or do I need to do something fancy?
I’m trying to take apart the cross slide for inspection and cleaning.
Thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• 273B99F7-7074-4AD5-841B-854A40AE42E3.jpeg
    273B99F7-7074-4AD5-841B-854A40AE42E3.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
On mine that bushing un-screwed with a fine thread and was locked by a set screw either on the underneath or on top - I can't remember.

Back