What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Clutch Issues

BobG

Plastic
Clutch lever detail.jpg

Greetings!

Recently, been having clutch release issues, which almost caused a crash. For reference, the lathe is a late 50's 10L.

The photo shows the condition of the clutch lever and the “extra” shimming, as purchased. In addition to the (I think original) thrust washer, there are a couple of brass shims and a plain washer that was fashioned into a thicker shim (a section was sawed-out to make a “U” shaped shim that was slipped under the cam). So, obviously, something is not right.

This set-up had been working ok, but recently the clutch stopped releasing normally and the feed continued after a normal lowering of the lever. The feed was stopped, but after forcing, or jiggling, the lever in the extreme down position. It's hit and miss now - sometimes no issue and sometimes like described.

Before I tear into the apron for a full rebuild, has anyone seen external shimming like this before and might know what the internal issue could be?

Thanks!

Bob

adding shims might be to make up for wear on the clutch, or just improper adjustment. Its supposed to screw onto the rod coming through the clutch pack to pull on it. If that got backed out, you won't get enough pull to make it go.

http://www.wswells.com/data/parts/992C.pdf

explains how to convert one, but the basic assembly and adjustment process would apply too.

Sticking could be burrs or other crap in the mechanism.

That's some poor looking fix there. You need a hardened (thick) washer. Send a PM to Ted and see if he has one, or at least the specs, so you can make one. If need help with adjusting it, we'll all help.

Thanks gadget73 and Brad!

Yes, very kludgy! The lathe came from a volume production environment. My guess is that these shims were band-aids to keep her running and producing product.

The wicks need to be re-done and it's generally junked-up, so there may be a complete overhaul in the near future.

What's the difference between the Style A and B clutch plates, besides the extra counter-bore with Style A? Are they interchangeable? Form 992 does show different "clutch plate discs" and bearings, depending on disc styles - maybe that's part of the issue(?).

Good point on the thrust washer, I'll check dims tonight.

Thanks again!

Bob

Back