What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 gear whine

cowboy

Aluminum
Well I have finally gotten my, new to me SB Heavy 10, into position and leveled up and power to it. The bearings seem to run smooth and quite. When I engage the feed lever to engage the lead screw I get a lot of whine when I run the motor in the forward direction. When I run the motor in the reverse direction, it is a lot quitter. I do not see any missing teeth on the gears and they do not look worn to the point of being pointed yet. Tomorrow or sometime this week I will try and remove them and clean them up good for better inspection. In the meantime anyone have any ideas or things I should be looking at?
On another note the cross feed screw and nut have about .052 back lash, would just replacing the nut improve this any, or should the screw and nut be changed as a unit.
By the way this is my first SB lathe and only my second overall. I am replacing a new Jet 14X40 with this, so I am trying to learn what to do. This forum is a great help. I will also get and add some pictures this week if I can up load them.
Thank You
Keith

Just take the gear cover off and run it in high. With a can of WD-40 with the little tube on it, spray each gear (center) until it stops whining. When done, take everything apart and lube it up. Yes, a new nut will eliminate a heck of alot of that slop. We have a couple members whom make them. Earl.

Check your gears also some time the detent on the feed reverse may be worn

On another note the cross feed screw and nut have about .052 back lash, would just replacing the nut improve this any, or should the screw and nut be changed as a unit.

Check the backlash at the extremes of the crossfeed motion. It might be quite a bit less at the ends. If that's the case, a new nut will only help a little as the screw has localized wear. Also, thrust washer wear can manifest in backlash, need to check that too.

Pictures Added

Here are some pictures of the South Bend Heavy 10 I have just aquired, and am asking questions about gear whine. I would like any and all comments as to what to look for, or check out. I have yet to make a chip with it. This is the machine that is mentioned in another thread here that was for sale on E-Bay.

Attachments

• New Lathe.jpg
    New Lathe.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 3,529
  • New lathe Gears.jpg
    New lathe Gears.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 4,258
  • Shop machines.jpg
    Shop machines.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 674
Yes, I would agree with the banjo bracket being adjusted too tightly. Loosen the bolt and pull the banjo bracket downward just a hair to allow a bit more room between the gears.

Some folks say if you adjust the banjo with a
piece of brown wrapping paper meshed in the gears, and
then of course remove the paper before operation! then
the clearance will be about right.

Jim

Gear whine on 10L's are fairly common. You need to disconnect the lower gear train to the QC gear box by pulling the banjo down to start to determine where the gear noise is coming from. Most common gear noise is in the rear spindle drive gear and the two reversing gears. Since you have more noise in forward than reverse, I would start by interchanging the two reversing gears and see if the noise is reduced during operation with the reversing gear lever in forward.

I reduced my 10 L gear noise greatly by changing gears around and replacing the spindle gear.

However you cannot get all noise to go away using the gear train. BUT THERE IS A WAY TO GET THE NOISE ELIMINATED:

I have been building a modification to drive the feed screw without using the gear train and I am have now completed it. PURE, COMPLETE SILENCE. You only hear the cutting tool chipping away at the metal as the lathe spindle turns, while the reversing gear lever is in neutral. As soon as I paint the modification device, I am going to post photos of it here on the site this week. YOU CAN'T BELIEVE HOW QUITE IT CAN BE TURNING A SHAFT WITHOUT ANY GEAR NOISE. The modification drives the feed screw from the Tailstock end via a DC motor and three sets of timing belt pulleys. I used the DC motor and variable speed drive from a Sieg mini-lathe. The QC gear box is placed out of service when using the variable speed drive by pulling the right hand QC selector lever out and down against the selector rail.

Regards;
Steve

Bent Shaft

I just took off the gears for cleaning and inspection. Lord and behold, I find that the reverse shaft is bent at the threaded end. It also looks like someone has added heat to the end, as it is darker than the rest of the shaft.
Anyone know where to get a new shaft?
Keith

Last edited:
Keith

If you are speaking of the shaft for each of the tumbler gears I believe I can help you out. Since I am in Lansing perhaps we are close enough for you to pick it up.

Dennis C.

Certainly excessive gear whine would be bad, but since these are straight cut gears, shouldn't we expect them to be fairly whiny?

Ryan

Re: Heavy 10 gear whine & silent feedscrew drive modification

Gear whine on 10L's are fairly common. You need to disconnect the lower gear train to the QC gear box by pulling the banjo down to start to determine where the gear noise is coming from. Most common gear noise is in the rear spindle drive gear and the two reversing gears. Since you have more noise in forward than reverse, I would start by interchanging the two reversing gears and see if the noise is reduced during operation with the reversing gear lever in forward.

I reduced my 10 L gear noise greatly by changing gears around and replacing the spindle gear.

However you cannot get all noise to go away using the gear train. BUT THERE IS A WAY TO GET THE NOISE ELIMINATED:

I have been building a modification to drive the feed screw without using the gear train and I am have now completed it. PURE, COMPLETE SILENCE. You only hear the cutting tool chipping away at the metal as the lathe spindle turns, while the reversing gear lever is in neutral. As soon as I paint the modification device, I am going to post photos of it here on the site this week. YOU CAN'T BELIEVE HOW QUITE IT CAN BE TURNING A SHAFT WITHOUT ANY GEAR NOISE. The modification drives the feed screw from the Tailstock end via a DC motor and three sets of timing belt pulleys. I used the DC motor and variable speed drive from a Sieg mini-lathe. The QC gear box is placed out of service when using the variable speed drive by pulling the right hand QC selector lever out and down against the selector rail.

Regards;
Steve

Hello Steve,
This silent feedscrew drive mod sounds very interesting - are you able to direct me to your reply containing the info or can you provide me with the details please.
My e-mail is : [email protected]

Regards,

Briann

Back