What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Half Nut Lever Locked

Frank R

Stainless
I am cleaning up a Heavy 10.

The half nut lever is locked in the open position. It does not move at all; not the slightest bit. Even when the carriage feed is in neutral.

Is there an adjustment or fix for this?

probably the pin that interlocks the power feed and the halfnut is stuck. Mine was. What fixed it for me was opening the apron up and cleaning the whole thing out. The lube inside was gummy and the pin was stuck. If you don't want to completely tear apart the apron, just flushing it out with mineral spirits or kerosene will not be a bad idea. Mine had lots of metal shavings inside that needed to be flushed out.

Thank you.

I should add: This lathe originally had a tail stock turret and was used in a production shop. I was thinking they may have clamped or pinned the lever open somehow to prevent an operator from engaging the half nuts. Can that be done?

I'll have to put some mineral spirits in the saddle reservoir for now.

The large oil cup closer to the bottom is for the reservoir. That won't help much, though. You need to drop the apron and take it apart so you can get the gunk out of there if you want to do a thorough cleaning. At the minimum you want to get the pin un-stuck and mineral spirits in the reservoir won't do that for you.

Thanks.

The lathe is at my brother's place right now and I can have him add mineral spirits until I can return and tear it down.

I have a feeling it is more than just gunk though. It is stuck tight so I think it is mechanically fastened open somehow.

Isn't there a pin that prevents the half nut from closing when either power feed option is engaged? If gunk has prevented the return spring on the pin from operating would that be the issue?

yes, thats the pin I was talking about. If you get into the apron you'll see the pin. Its right above the half nut lever and slides towards the tailstock end of the lathe to block the halfnuts from engaging.

I suppose its not impossible to mechanically block the halfnuts. Removing the pin and installing a bolt or something through the hole would do it. Whatever is going on it should be easy to figure out once you've got the apron in front of you. Mine was actually stuck the other way, the halfnuts worked but the power feed did not. No idea how, based on wear the power feed was used heavily but the half nuts were like new. The worm, worm wheel, and bushings were completely wasted for the power feed stuff but the halfnuts and the lead screw are very nice.

Back