What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 headstock thread

can any body help me on head stock thread on a south bend 10 I just got I believe it has a
1.1/2" x 8 tpi and need to no does the thread have whitworth type thread with 55 degree angle or American type thread with a 60 degree angle new lathe work and over in England and a lot of lathes over here use whitworth threads would appreciate any help

thanks Johnoder
for the reply cannot get the chuck off at the moment (Seized)removed chuck from back plate and it only seems to be about 1.1/2"cant measure properly but the faceplate that came with it is 1.1/2" x 8 tpi but not sure its the right one the hole in the other end of the spindle is only 1" so I think its only a regular spindle not the larger spindle if that makes sense

thanks Johnoder
for the reply cannot get the chuck off at the moment (Seized)removed chuck from back plate and it only seems to be about 1.1/2"cant measure properly but the faceplate that came with it is 1.1/2" x 8 tpi but not sure its the right one the hole in the other end of the spindle is only 1" so I think its only a regular spindle not the larger spindle if that makes sense

Its easy. If a "Heavy Ten" it has one of the threads mentioned in my post above. If it has a 1 1/2-8 thread it is not a "Heavy Ten" - but could be a "light Ten" or "10K"

Serial number right end on top in between two front ways will tell us exactly what it is

A 199 Z with a 108XXX serial is a 10R from early forties with 1 7/8-8 thread

Attachments

• 199Z.jpg
    199Z.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 90

Back