What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Metric Transposing Gears Setup?

Malchira

Plastic
Greetings all,

Some time ago I purchased a metric transposing gear set for my single-tumbler Heavy 10 and am finally trying to install it. Running into issues getting the gears to mesh and am not sure where I'm going wrong. I'm using the "figure 2" setup from the chart to cut a 1.5mm thread:

h10_metric_chart.jpg

...and the three primary gears on the banjo won't line up. The 80T (right) can't be positioned to mesh with the 72T/18T (middle), you can see the gap in the following shot:

h10_metric_geartrain.jpg

The configuration shown is the closest I've come but the middle and right gears aren't sitting flush with the banjo. I can address that with some spacers but I don't know if it's a further indicator of something set up incorrectly. There just doesn't seem to be enough travel in the necessary directions to make this work.

I'm hoping someone has done this successfully, but I haven't been able to find any posts or images of this setup with the full kit.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Isn't the 72/18 combo meant to be the other way round (i.e. the 18T behind? And the 80T idler further back to mesh with the 18 gear (and leadscrew)?

Loosen the banjo and the gears. The 127/100 combo is too low on the lathe. Rotate it around the drive gear with the banjo until everything meshes.

Mesh the 80T to the 30T first, then the 18T to the 80, then the 100 to the 72, then finally swing the banjo up to mesh the 127 with the stud gear.

Thanks all for the responses.

Isn't the 72/18 combo meant to be the other way round (i.e. the 18T behind? And the 80T idler further back to mesh with the 18 gear (and leadscrew)?

I'm definitely not positive, but since the "legs" of the banjo are of different heights (with the 80T higher), if the 72/18 is turned around I don't see any way for the 80T to line up with it.

Loosen the banjo and the gears. The 127/100 combo is too low on the lathe. Rotate it around the drive gear with the banjo until everything meshes.

Unfortunately the 127/100 is already at the end of the banjo's travel, so I can't move it out to get more height.

Mesh the 80T to the 30T first, then the 18T to the 80, then the 100 to the 72, then finally swing the banjo up to mesh the 127 with the stud gear.

Even taking the 127/100 out of the picture, the 72/18 and 80 don't seem able to line up. The 72/18 runs into the banjo casting around the drive gear/pivot point before making contact with the 80. I'm thinking I might be able to make that work by using some kind of spacers to create clearance, but it would be great if it would "just work" out of the box. ;-)

Hmm, well there must be a reason they made the 30 tooth gear so long. Looks like you have room to move everything outwards except that your 72/18 gear stud is too short. Try swapping that stud for the one on the 100/127, space out both compound gears and flip the 80T idler.

EDIT:

Check out post 9 here. Pics of both sides of the whole assembly shows spacers under the gears for sure.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ansposing-gear-info-single-tumbler-qc-263210/

Hmm, well there must be a reason they made the 30 tooth gear so long. Looks like you have room to move everything outwards except that your 72/18 gear stud is too short. Try swapping that stud for the one on the 100/127, space out both compound gears and flip the 80T idler.

EDIT:

Check out post 9 here. Pics of both sides of the whole assembly shows spacers under the gears for sure.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ansposing-gear-info-single-tumbler-qc-263210/

Ditto with Peter, the spacers are out of place.

Steve

Fantastic, that was it! I only have one large spacer and it "came with" the 127/100, and I hadn't ever removed the shorter ones from the other gears. Did that, swapped the big one to the 72/18, and everything worked.

Thanks all, very much appreciated.

Back