What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 missing gears?

tiggi

Plastic
Hi all, I recently got a South Bend 10" lathe that came disassembled. I pretty much have everything back in place and working cept the gear box. The stud gear, screw gear and idler gear are not aligned so the idler gear can't engage the stud gear. So what am I missing here/doing wrong?
IMAG0307.jpg

Looks like your banjo is not fully seated against the gearbox.

When you move it into position , you may end up with a gap between the gear and nut on the gearbox input, normally there would be a 40t(IIRC)stud gear there to fill in the gap - that gear would be used to get the course range of threads.

For now unless you find that gear you will need a spacer.

Note- The latter does not apply if you have the wide range gearbox.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Thanks for reply iwananew10K,
If I move the banjo all the way then the idler gear doesn't align with the screw gear but it does with the stud gear.
The additional gear you're referring to is it on idler gear or screw gear?

Would adding a spacer to the stud gear be a acceptable solution? It's really not making much sense to me why such a design.

Looks like the only difference is the stud gear having an extra spacer. Maybe I have the wrong gear for the stud gear. I'll inspect it more when I get home.

IMAG0310.jpg

I got it figured out, the spacer on the stud gear was on the wrong side. It was already on the shaft so I guess I thought it was part of the shaft. Thank you all for your help.

I got it figured out, the spacer on the stud gear was on the wrong side. It was already on the shaft so I guess I thought it was part of the shaft. Thank you all for your help.

I have some of the gears, for the postage if I have any you need. Kenny

Back