What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Progress

cast1

Plastic
Well, I decided to go ahead and go through my recently acquired heavy 10. I figured it would educate me about the machine and ensure nothing was out of sorts on it that could cause a long term problem.

I have uncovered several little surprises that I did not expect to find. I would still have bought the machine, even with these little easter eggs. To date, I have made the following renovations:

NOS Lead Screw
NOS Half Nuts
NOS worm and gear
New cross feed and compound screws and nuts
Saddle and taper attachment sent off to be scraped back into spec

I am using a combination of electrolytic derusting/cleaning and ultrasonic cleaning for prep. Paint is Brad Jacobs color recipe.

Here are a few photos of the progress:

Dirty old apron casting, front and back

In the Drink

All Clean

Painted

Looking really good. Would love to know what you ran into along the way. I'm in the process of a 10L rebuild as well.

"expanded metal cage" I saw that too. Brilliant! I'll be doing that next time. Saves stuffing around with wiring together iron rods etc etc.

Re the pics and progress. Well done. May all your rebuild troubles be small :-)

Isn't electrolysis amazing? I used it almost exclusively for the paint removal restoration on my heavy 10, couldn't have been happier with the results. I was cringing at the though of using strippers for the process.

Looking good!

how are they going to scrape the saddle/ taper without having the bed too?

Of course having the entire machine would be best, but I think I can improve the present condition.
The bottom of his saddle is not worn too bad. There is no step and the clearance area in the center of the ways still shows(mostly). I increased the clearance and flaked the bearing area. Then checked it on my bed which was ground by SBL prior to their demise. No rock, good fit.
Then I scraped in the CS dovetail and fit the cross slide. The squareness to the bed ways can be checked on mine too.
Scraping in the compound...no problem.
Touching up the taper attachment...no problem.
After everything is touched up, I will assemble it on my bed, test for function.
Ted

Of course having the entire machine would be best, but I think I can improve the present condition.
The bottom of his saddle is not worn too bad. There is no step and the clearance area in the center of the ways still shows(mostly). I increased the clearance and flaked the bearing area. Then checked it on my bed which was ground by SBL prior to their demise. No rock, good fit.
Then I scraped in the CS dovetail and fit the cross slide. The squareness to the bed ways can be checked on mine too.
Scraping in the compound...no problem.
Touching up the taper attachment...no problem.
After everything is touched up, I will assemble it on my bed, test for function.
Ted

Ted, being fairly new to this forum, I wasn't aware you do restoration work in addition to supplying parts. Would it be possible and worthwhile for me to carry my bed and saddle with me when I come up and have you offer an opinion on their condition? To my untrained eye both look pretty good for their age, however, I'd feel a lot better knowing what you think about it before I spend the time putting it all back together if it needs a full regrind.

Couple more pics

BD7DD056-2776-492D-84E1-6D7386C331AE_zpsssqonkxx.jpg

I've been debating whether or not to paint the inside surfaces of my apron, such as the splash guard above. Have you considered what will happen to your lubricants long term as the paint breaks down and mixes with the oil? Just curious if I'm worrying about nothing and should go ahead and paint it all before reassembly.

ditto. Mine was as well - even the inside of the apron was painted. The only bit of casting left without what I think was factory paint was the gear on the left of the gearbox. Even the back of the bull gear was painted.

Back