What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 QCTP which size??

pistonring

Plastic
I have a Heavy 10 South Bend tool room lathe and want to set it up with a piston type Aloris copy tool post system. Which size range is the best fit? I have an Enco Q35 post that looks big. The center line of the piston locks are about a half inch above the centerline of the lathe when sitting on the compound rest. It would most likely best be used on one of my larger lathes later on. I am assuming that a 100 or AX series will fit but how about the 200 or BX series? Which size are you guys using and which would you rather have? I realize that in either case I will likely have to do some milling to get the lock into the tee slot. Opinions please?
Thank you,
Dave Reed
Elkton MD

"I am assuming that a 100 or AX series will fit but how about the 200 or BX series? Which size are you guys using and which would you rather have?"

A BX(A) is more suited to a 12.5" lathe, or larger.

That the C/L of the AX's piston is above the C/L of your lathe is perhaps a clue that the AX is barely suitable.

On my 10 x 24 Logan, an AX clone (Phase II) works well, but in order to utilize 1/2" triangular carbide insert tooling, I have to grind 3/32" off of the underside of the holders, thereby giving 3/64" clearance to the compound.

Ghodd!

A BXA Aloris would be all over a Heavy Ten like a cheap suit.

The piston type Aloris AX or equivalent is normal, if not a little big.

I believe that Aloris at one time made a smaller post than the 'A's for "instrument lathes". I can't find it in any of my catalogs now, I do remmember such a thing from maybe the 70's.

The AXA is 2 3/4" square, It is clumsy on a small lathe. I would like to go to a QC tool post on my 9 incher, but I want something delicate.

I am afraid that if I put an AXA on the 9 inch it would tip the poor little lathe right off the front of its bench.

"I believe that Aloris at one time made a smaller post than the 'A's for 'instrument lathes'. I can't find it in any of my catalogs now, I do remmember such a thing from maybe the 70's.

"The AXA is 2 3/4" square, It is clumsy on a small lathe. I would like to go to a QC tool post on my 9 incher, but I want something delicate."

Phase II makes a "wedge type" (AKA, -X) small toolpost, one which might work well on a 9 x.

More substantial than the small (and now discontinued) KDK QCTP that I have on my Hardinge TL.

That KDK is so small, it requires a 3/4" spacer between the TL's compound and the post.

And, unlike every other KDK, this model has unique holders, not interchangeable with any other model KDK.

It is essential that the post and its holders not be so large than one has to operate these cantilevered over the compound.

Which is why I ground 3/32 off of the AX holders on my 10 x 24 Logan.

I bought a BXA for my Heavy 10 on a co-worker's advice. Upon placing it on the compound, I could easily see it was too big. The next day it was returned for an AXA.
Bob

AXA or equivelant

BXA will fit, but its just too big to use comfortably. The tool holders sit at the very bottom of there adjustment range and the size is almost an handycap. Tried it and went back to the AXA.

Each to there own. I have a AXA on my SBL 9", and have for a few years. The only time it comes off is for my tool post grinder. The only drawback I can find is the thread cutter sticks out too to use a threading stop. I don't use any inserted tools, so I don't know. I like it, what can I say :D

Back