What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 for sale, St. Louis area

sam_stlouis

Cast Iron
I put a heavy 10 for sale on craigslist. Asking 1600 in add, but will take 1400. I also have a vfd, and qctp that I can sell to the buyer if they need them. Everything works well, a couple new parts, there is ridge on the way showing some wear. Took best pics I could.
Hopefully this link will work

lathe south bend heavy 10

lathe south bend heavy 1

Thanks sam

Sam,

I looked at your ad, and had a couple of questions. I was not sure if I should contact you here or if replying to your ad would be better..

About what year is that lathe? It looks like it has the late clutch on the apron, do you know if that was original? It is hard to tell in the pictures, how is the bed?

Thank you,

Marc

Marc,
Ser# 10380rkl14x
Catalog # cl187a
Built sept. 1958

To the best of my knowledge the parts are original. But I'm not an expert. Looking at the catalog online it looks correct. As mentioned above there is a lip on the ways, so it does have some wear, short work makes no difference, not sure how much it is affecting longer work. Not sure best way to measure wear in an easy way, I did have 1 pic in add where I tried to show way in front of the spindle. Hope this helps
Sam

People keep asking about the ways, not sure how to answer, other then saying it does have some wear. I can put a test bar between centers. And mount an indicator on the carriage and run it the length of the bar and see how it reads. Not sure if that is really accurate since there are no cutting forces. How do I best measure the ways so I can fairly answer this

People keep asking about the ways, not sure how to answer, other then saying it does have some wear. I can put a test bar between centers. And mount an indicator on the carriage and run it the length of the bar and see how it reads. Not sure if that is really accurate since there are no cutting forces. How do I best measure the ways so I can fairly answer this

I took a Starret Straight Edge with me when I purchased my lathe. I checked the front/rear of the ways down the length, looking for wear spots. I found an ever so slight bow to the ways, but it really didn't concern me much.

We then chucked up an 18" long piece of aluminum, with a live center in the tail stock, and took a 0.002" cut off of the length. Using a mic, we then checked the diameter, every inch. Over 18" there was less than 0.003" size differential which is plenty close for anything I'd do, and it was at that point that I handed over the cash.

Back