What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Spindle Adapter

Reaxun

Plastic
Would anyone know the specs on an adapter to go from the stock spindle to say MT2 or MT3 so I can turn between centers
I have a heavy 10 with the large bore and a D1-4 spindle and want an adapter for it
TIA

i met a guy that just bolted a stump on a backplate, and turned a 60 deg point on the stump, a couple slots for the dog and he was in there.

Nice set up I thought.

My SB 13" and Enco 90010 12" have the same spindle nose interior. I think it's a truncated MT4. Pretty sure the MT4 seats, but sticks out a mile... (not home to check for the week end). The SB 13" is D1-4, the Enco threaded 2-1/2"-8.

John

The angle of the taper in SB lathes is the same as MT3, but the diameter varies. The large bore lathes look like an MT4, but are not. There is one exception to this, the small collet 13" lathe actually was MT4, both diam and angle.

Frankly, I don't see much need for a taper adapter. I have a steel round with a shoulder on it, and a 60 degree point. I chuck it up, take a skim cut on the point, and let the chuck jaw drive the dog.

allan

i met a guy that just bolted a stump on a backplate, and turned a 60 deg point on the stump, a couple slots for the dog and he was in there.

Nice set up I thought.

Yep, the most accurate center you'll ever have is the one turned on the lathe itself. Of course you lose some distance between centers. As noted above Miller Machine & Fabrication makes new ones.

The taper in the D1-4 spindle is the same size as the threaded spindle, but the drive plate is much thicker on the D1-4. As a result, the center has to stick out further so South Bend made a different sleeve that is longer.
BTW: I have a few to sell ;)
Ted
[email protected]

Back