What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 spindle rotation

Stronghold

Aluminum
This is probably going to be a dumb question, but how easy should you be able to rotate the spindle cone by hand? All of my experience with lathes have been with modern foreign machines. On those, I could easily rotate the spindles by hand, but I cannot with my new (to me) Heavy 10. When I got the SB it was already broken down and in mid clean up, so I don't know how it was prior. I cleaned everything else up and put it all back together according to the restoration manual that came with the lathe. I'm still waiting on my VFD and would like to fix this (if needed) before it gets here.

When the lathe is in neutral with no belt tension, I can move it by hand but it's not very easy. When the lathe is in forward or reverse and no belt tension, it gets even harder to move. If the machine is in forward or reverse, no belt tension, and the quick change gear box is engaged in any configuration the spindle will wiggle back and forth a little but can't be rotated by hand.

I can only assume that this isn't normal as I watch videos of people using their machines on Youtube and they constantly move them by hand to rotate the chuck. I oiled each part individually during reassembly and then filled all oil reservoirs as directed. I also replaced pretty much every bearing that felt even slightly sticky with new ones.

On my 13" (heavier but smaller spindle) it spins easily. I had the same problem as you have, it got solved with a piece of shim stock under the front bearing. Front one was worn low and it lost alignment with the rear bearing. Also make sure your capillary wicks are working and are in contact with the spindle. Use REAL spindle oil, I use Sterling #2 from a local supplier.

With the drive train not connected and the belt loose, the spindle should freely spin by hand. Once the gear box and lead screw are in the equation, bearings other than the spindle make it tougher to spin...

John

Be careful with the quick change gear box, mine had a bearing go and bushings were getting worn and a gear jammed the drive train to a stop, all this goes back the spindle drive

Be careful with the quick change gear box, mine had a bearing go and bushings were getting worn and a gear jammed the drive train to a stop, all this goes back the spindle drive

I replaced all the bearings in the gear box but I did have a hell of a time getting it back together due to how tight everything was in there.

Set it up for the fastest speed with the gear box engaged. If it starts without hesitation,
you are probably OK.

Other than that, I would check spindle bearings. It's never going to be easy to turn with
the gears engaged. Kenny

Thanks everyone. I ended up starting up the lathe which I can only assume made everything fall into place because now everything moves freely even with the gear train/box engaged.

Back