What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Taper Attachment Scew

Stronghold

Aluminum
Picked up a taper attachment right here on the forum for my Heavy 10 which came with everything except the taper attachment screw (the one with the splines). I'm considering making my own, but need the dimensions if anyone has one. If no one has the dimensions, but instead has one to sell, I'll consider that as well. They would need to be for large dials. Thanks.

I believe Brian Miller at Miller Machine and Fabrication can make those.
He made me the cross slide screw for my taper attachment. Its excellent. I had him change the dimensions a bit to accommodate the new thrust bearing's that are thicker than the originals. It's important to set up the backlash in the taper attachment correctly as it is a significant cause of cross feed backlash.

I believe Brian Miller at Miller Machine and Fabrication can make those.
He made me the cross slide screw for my taper attachment. Its excellent. I had him change the dimensions a bit to accommodate the new thrust bearing's that are thicker than the originals. It's important to set up the backlash in the taper attachment correctly as it is a significant cause of cross feed backlash.

Thanks, I forgot all about that company. Could you give me more info on the thrust bearings?

The thrust bearings I used and the only one's I could find are Boston Gear 17195 Available at MSC P/N 03548591. They are thicker than the originals at .281 THK. I had Mr. Miller make my lead screw smooth part slightly longer than the original so the bearing race on the end would not fall off the 3/8 portion and would stay centered.
South Bend Form 978A parts list is very helpful. I think you google it.

Back