What's new
What's new

heavy 10 toolroom lathe spindle bushings?

donaldvieira

Plastic
Hello all, I am restoring my 1951 heavy 10 toolroom lathe and think I should replace the headstock spindle bearings.

- I tried to call Grizzly and their customer service is poor at best.

-Does anyone make/sell these bushings besides Grizzly? Part numbers?

-I also am trying to find the reverse gear oiler extension/cup. My hole is 5/16-24. Do I just need to thread some 5/15 tube?

Thanks, Don

don,

check with Joe at Plaza Machinery as I think he still has a new set of heavy 10 bearings. If the journal bearings are damaged, it will be worth checking the thrust bearings also.
SBLatheman, on this forum, may also have the bearings you need. he will likely see your post and comment.
Bruce Norton

Thanks Ken.

-I have the headstock apart. I will post pics tonight.

-Being I am OCD about any used item I chose to take it down and re-build.

-Just the nature of the beast.

Don

Here are pics of the spindle.
Thanks, Don

Attachments

• 20140430_205418_resized.jpg
    20140430_205418_resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 283
  • 20140430_205410_resized.jpg
    20140430_205410_resized.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 311
The small end is not that great, but livable. The big end looks fine. Assuming the bearings are in similar shape, I'd clean it up, and put it back together as-is.

allan

Tried to PM SBLatheman but his inbox is full.

-Hopefully he will respond to this post.

-Do any members make the bronze bearings?

Thanks, Don

A while back I had pondered making them, but.......... The outrageous price of the bronze bearing stock and the fact that most of it was going to end up in the chip pan quenched those thoughts! More than likely, a simple adjustment will take care of any slop that you have. In all reality they seem to last just about forever with an occasional adjustment or 2. If you need to replace something to make yourself feel better, replace the oiler felts! That will help prevent future issues.

Frank

-Does anyone know which type of bronze to use for these bearings.
-I am going to have a shop make them after I have the spindle ground.
-I found a few places that make bronze bearings just want to make sure the material is correct.
Thanks, Don

-Does anyone know which type of bronze to use for these bearings.
-I am going to have a shop make them after I have the spindle ground.
-I found a few places that make bronze bearings just want to make sure the material is correct.
Thanks, Don

What kind of luck did you have getting a shop to make the new bushings? What kind of bronze was it? Thanks. My front bushings are to the point that I only have a 1 thousandth shim left and need to start sourcing replacements. Thanks.

Wade

Back