What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Underdrive Countershaft

jwearing

Hot Rolled
Does anyone know if a newer ball bearing countershaft assembly is swappable with an old plain bearing unit?

I am restoring an old 40's 10L with a cast iron base and a plain bearing countershaft. The bearings are shot, I don't think it has seen oil for decades. Also I'm not sure if I can get it out of the machine without damaging it.

The newer ball bearing units look nice. Does anyone know if they will swap in without a lot of modification? Does anyone have one for sale?

Update: I did end up replacing the countershaft assembly with a newer ball-bearing unit. Everything fit with no problem. There are a couple differences that could be a problem if you want to replace one or two subcomponents:
- The bracket on the motor base plate is 1/2" wider on the newer units. An old base plate will fit a new assembly but not the other way around.
- The newer countershafts are stepped down in diameter at the ends, so the new pulleys have a smaller bore (not the flat belt pulley, just the large pulley driven by the motor)

The replacement unit I bought came from a machine with a cabinet style base, rather than cast iron, so now the tension lever goes left-right instead of up-down. Also the main pivot shaft that mounts the entire assembly to the base is an inch or two longer on the CI base than the cabinet.

That's it. As far as I can tell, everything else is a direct fit.

Back