What's new
What's new

Heavy 10L 5c collet adapter

PmGRacer

Aluminum
Good day gentlemen. I am the proud new owner of a 1973/74 Heavy 10L that I purchased from a local high school! It needs a thorough cleaning, a new cross feed nut and a set of new felt wipers. The Spindle gits are filled with oil which is a good sign. I did replace the oil felts on my 10k last summer and I am debating whether or not to replace them on this lathe. The Quick Change gear bolts to the bed are loose so the QC box is moving which I will have to fix. Here are a couple pics:

342f7f752778d15ee4ff0edf4447c939.jpg

200cea0743423d9f50cb53b49d4850af.jpg

e4da08ed5bca0adef287ec3dd7be890c.jpg

9d05227c6a3fb522aa4bde4513d122e8.jpg

It came decently equipped with a 6” 3 jaw, 2 Buck 4 jaw chucks, 2 face plates and a Dorian AXA tool post. I am very happy with the purchase!! Now I need to sell my 10k.

Onto the thread title question. I have seen a few 5c collet adapters on eBay and see that the nose is something I can turn, harden and grind. In my research I see the 10L uses a 3MT taper and that the collet adapter is a little longer than a standard 3MT. Would anyone be willing to share the dimensions of the adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not on either lathe. I plan to rough turn the the part out of A2, have it vacuum hardened to 50-55 Rockwell C then id/od grind the part to size. I have a sine bar set up made for the South Bend 14 we have at work. The compound has enough travel to cut the 3MT taper. I have made other fixturing for 5c collets so I am confident I can tune the angle in to match properly.

A friend at the carbide grinding shop I used to work at is going to do the od and id grinding for me.

I just measured the front of the bore of the Spindle, close to 1.625” at the opening. That is the only dimension I needed. The rest of the collet adapter will fall into place from there using Autodesk Inventor.

I just measured the front of the bore of the Spindle, close to 1.625” at the opening.

More like 1.628", but it isn't that critical, since it extends about 0.250" beyond the opening. Also, there is a slot that needs to be cut internally and a key set in it.

Also, the tolerance on a Morse taper is 0.0002"/inch, up to 0.002"/foot.

Here is a quick model of the adapter with a collet. It is not fully dimensioned yet. The black portion is the adapter, the gray is the 5 c collet and the brass colors the pin. Inventor makes solving design issues so easy. Holding 0.0002” isn’t a problem. The carbide shop I worked at they grind Cat40/50 shanks and many other very tight tolerance diameters all the time so my little collet adapter won’t be a problem for them.

The Suburban Collet Master we have at work uses pin to keep the collet from rotating when you tighten it up so a key I don’t think is necessary. From the pics I’ve seen on the 10L collet adapters they use a 1/8” diameter pin as an anti rotation device.

db512467a160b6016c35b1afcc7ee92c.jpg

I am also in need of a heavy 10 5C collet adapter. my back plate is D14 I believe, and the machine is of a newer vintage, though i can't say when. would this part be the same for all Heavy 10's? I just acquired this lathe and have never one before or the parts in question. i'd buy one if i could find it. who wouldn't, right?

Not on either lathe. I plan to rough turn the the part out of A2, have it vacuum hardened to 50-55 Rockwell C then id/od grind the part to size. I have a sine bar set up made for the South Bend 14 we have at work. The compound has enough travel to cut the 3MT taper. I have made other fixturing for 5c collets so I am confident I can tune the angle in to match properly.

A friend at the carbide grinding shop I used to work at is going to do the od and id grinding for me.

I just measured the front of the bore of the Spindle, close to 1.625” at the opening. That is the only dimension I needed. The rest of the collet adapter will fall into place from there using Autodesk Inventor.

I'll see if the one (collet closer) I have laying around is the right one (to SB's 1.629 big end)

Added photo of what I suppose is SB with the 1.629 big end of taper

Attachments

• SB Spindle dims.jpg
    SB Spindle dims.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Collet Closer SB.jpg
    Collet Closer SB.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Back