What's new
What's new

Heavy 10L new bearing and spindle?

M.Arzt

Plastic
I am new to this forum, and am in need of some advice. I actually got this lathe from a friend a little while ago. I haven't ran it much, but I am noticing that the larger bearing is heating up. First thing I did was check for excessive movement in the spindle, and it would only move about 1 1/2 thousands, which i believe is ok. Next thing I did was pull the caps off and remove the whole spindle assembly to get to the oilers. I replaced the capillary oilers and flushed the system. While I had it apart I was looking at the spindle and the larger bearing seemed to spin more rough than the smaller. I than decided to take apart the spindle and see if it had some crud between it. It doesn't seem to have any metal shavings or crud, just grease. However after cleaning the bearing and spindle, there is scoring on both. I'm not sure if this is something I need to replace or if I can clean it up somehow. Im guessing im going to need to replace them. Where do I find replacements for this? I attached some pictures so you can see what it looks like. Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Lathe Bearing.jpgLathe Spindle.jpg

Looks fine. Make sure there are no lumps adhered to the spindle surface, and put it back together. Use clean felts, good oil, and install the bearing expander properly. Adjust shims to 1.5 to 2 though lift on the spindle, and re-check the temperature.

allan

I normally don't let it get too hot, once I notice it I shut the machine down. Probably running at about 200RPM and I only let it get about maybe 150 degrees, im sure it was hotter at the bearing, we were just feeling it at the cap. We are using velocite #10 oil for the headstock. I also noticed that the cutout for the expander on the larger bearing does not look too good, has some deep gouging. Looks like the previous owner put it together wrong and boogered it up. It also seems that when the expander is in it doesnt sit evenly throughout the bearing. one side seems lower than the other. Thanks for the help

150 deg sounds hot to me. If your hand pulls away as soon as you tough that is about 120 deg. 150 you should not be able to touch.

I can touch it and it doesnt burn me, however I didnt let it run for a long period of time. When I first got it and it was heating up I could not hold my hand on it. Last time I ran it to test it started getting hot after maybe 3 minutes of running.

Your expander looks buggered because the bearing cap was lifted before removing the expander screws. The number one issue with expander bearing machines.

On my SB light 13, the bearing caps barely get warm. Im not sure why yours are getting so hot, however.

I am going to clean everything and reinstall sometime today hopefully. Thanks for the help, I will let you guys know how it goes.

Back