What's new
What's new

Heavy 9 gear box disassembly

maynah

Stainless
I'm taking a heavy 9 gear box apart to clean and install new felts. I've done a 16" box so it's pretty much the same. Except I'm trying to take the jam nut off the cone gear shaft. The 16" and 10" lathes have a pin through the nut. There is no pin I can see in the 9" box. Is there something else holding it on? I've jammed an oak wedge in the gears and hit the end of my wrench with a dead blow hammer, and the gears chew the wood up before the nut lets loose. I'm a little hesitant to put a metal block in like Eric Isom shows in his excellent tutorial. If there is nothing else holding the nut I'll figure out how to hold the shaft better. Thanks for any help.

I got it. There's no pin, just had to drive the wedges in a little harder and hit the wrench like I meant it.

Hey, as long as you are rebuilding:

Is your's a large or small spindle?

Did you get one of Steve Brooks' kits for rebuilding, and if so, which one? Did you need any parts not in the kit?

Steve

Glad you got it out - I had the same problem with a Heavy 9. On the advice of a few guys here - I drilled and tapped the nut for a set screw with a brass foot under it to stablize the nut

Rick

I guess mine is the small spindle, 3C collets.
No kit. I bought a sheet of felt to do my 16 inch, and used that to make my own.
I've already put it back together, so no set screw, but sounds like it would lock it well.

Back