What's new
What's new

Heavy 9 parts interchangeability, Headstock parts question.

catpal

Plastic
HEADSTOCK 2.jpgHEADSTOCK.jpgHello, I have a South Bend 9 inch Junior lathe,made in 1931 catalog no.22-yb. I need some headstock parts. I have found a complete headstock from a 9 inch South Bend catalog no. 322-yb, Looking at the picture it looks a bit different as mine has tabs on the front of the headstock and the one for sale does not. Also the back gear lever looks more modern on the one for sale. The seller doesnt know when it was made or the serial number from the lathe it came from. My question, will parts interchange and how to find out. THANKS! the picture is of the one for sale

Last edited:
I have a 1928 22-YB and my headstock is identical to the pictures you posted. I'm not sure what the question is. The only "tabs" I see in your picture are where the gear guards bolt onto. I have seen some headstocks that have bumps in the headstock casting, at the spindle end, to act as a sort of carriage bump stop, I suppose.

Thank you for your reply.On the headstock of the 1931 22-yb, there are two tabs on the front of the headstock casting where screws go, to bolt it to the lathe bed. here is a picture of it. The question is, will the parts from the other one fit the 1931 22-yb lathe, such as the bull gear,or are they different,as the headstocks seem similar, but not the same. Trying to find out if the parts are interchangeable.22-yb 001.jpg

Indeed, what we're looking at are the differences between the pre-1931 and post 1931 headstock castings. The spindle and bull gear are the same.

Actually, that change happened a little earlier, late 1929 or early 1930. The additional headstock mounting bolts were added, the gear guards were changed, and I thought the spindle was made slightly longer, because the belts got wider. I think you would have to use the entire headstock.

allan

Thank you for your reply!

Indeed, what we're looking at are the differences between the pre-1931 and post 1931 headstock castings. The spindle and bull gear are the same.

I went ahead and ordered the headstock then. kind regards!

Actually, that change happened a little earlier, late 1929 or early 1930. The additional headstock mounting bolts were added, the gear guards were changed, and I thought the spindle was made slightly longer, because the belts got wider. I think you would have to use the entire headstock.

allan

Thank you for your reply, I have ordered the headstock per the earlier advice that the spindle and bull gear were the same. Hopefully they will be the same. If not,I guess I will have a headstock to sell,The seller said everything was in fine condition,no noticable wear. so that part is good. kind regards!

allan

I don't know. My '28 has 1-1/4" wide belt flats on each cone pulley step.

And my 1927 has 1" wide steps. Given the 'land' on the side of the headstock where the gear covers attach, I am hoping you are looking at the 1929/29 headstock, and you might luck out on the spindle interchange. My headsock does not have those flat areas.

allan

UPDATE on parts interchagabilty on 1931 Head and the earlier South bend Jr Headstock.

Update on the different headstocks. I found that the spindle is shorter on the older headstock, but the bull gear is the same and did fit on the later spindle.

Thank you for your question, I am not sure what I am going to to do with the old bull gear, I might attempt to repair it and put it on the other headstock. but thanks for asking.

Back