What's new
What's new

heavy ten: belt slips off high speed pulley. What is the best remedy?

If you're talking flat belt, make sure your splice is good. If the belt is tighter on one side vs the other it will tend to walk towards the tight side.

If its the V belt, check your motor alignment. If thats crooked it will walk.

must be the motor belt...spindle belt can't slip off when on the high speed step of the spindle cone.

It can kick over on the countershaft end. I've had it happen on mine. My belt is stitched together, and when the stitching starts to pull it will sometimes do this. Nowhere for it to go on the spindle side though.

flat belts run off when they slip. If all else is straight and true, apply some belt dressing and see if that takes care of things, (the local FLAPS will have spray cans of belt dressing at small cost.)

I concur with the above.

When I run my 10L too hard at high rpm and start to stall it, the belt walks off and I remember that carbide inserts weren't around when my lathe was made... (but I still love it)

A friend bought a 10l for cheap because it had this problem. It was something about the linkage that held the motor. When he reassembled everything the problem was gone.

Clean the stepped pulley with alcohol. Clean the belt too. If your belt is leather, replace it with a serpentine auto belt. Skive the belt about 1 inch on each end. Place the grooved side up. Glue it with super glue and clamp the joint. Your lathe will work better with HSS tooling. These steps solved my belt problem. Regards, Clark

Back